Employers want £1719.38 back

Options
My previous employers BSkyB want £1719.38 back which they say they overpaid me! I left the company while on extended sick leave. I was suffering from work related anxiety and depression and as soon as I felt well enough I started applying for other jobs and took the first one that came along; part-time 20 hrs a week. I wanted to leave sooner but followed the advice of my doctor.
If I wasn't entitled to this money; why on earth did they give me it? If they'd given me statutory sick pay I could have sought help elsewhere to make ends meet and wouldn't have ended up almost £2000 in debt! I've also paid tax on this money and it affects my Tax Credits.
Any ideas?

Comments

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Firstly you need to ask them to give you a breakdown of exactly what they have overpaid you and why.
  • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    Options
    Correct. Also you have to phone up directgov.uk about labour laws. You may not have to reimburse them back fully in one go due to your current situation. Get some legal advice.
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • markola
    Options
    Thanks for any and all help by the way!:wink:
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    I love the amount of people who can get overpaid by thousands and not notice but the second they want it back its suddenly such a major amount.
  • markola
    Options
    Anihilator wrote: »
    I love the amount of people who can get overpaid by thousands and not notice but the second they want it back its suddenly such a major amount.
    I'm assuming that you've been lucky enough never to have suffered from depression, but among other things; the simplest of tasks becomes an impossibility, irrelevances become major hassles and the glaringly obvious goes unnoticed. And only the saddest of people find pleasure in the misfortune of others.
  • jazzyman01
    Options
    You do need to get an explanation as to why they think that you owe the money with a clear breakdown of the sum involved.

There are a couple of options following that. 1. You may not have to repay. 2. You can agree on how much and over what period to repay whatever portion of the sum you agree that you owe.

If the sum overpaid was made over a period of time, it will make it difficult for the Company to claim.

Always start the letter with, "I would dispute that I owe you any money and would ask that you provide comprehensive evidence of same."
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    markola wrote: »
    I'm assuming that you've been lucky enough never to have suffered from depression, but among other things; the simplest of tasks becomes an impossibility, irrelevances become major hassles and the glaringly obvious goes unnoticed. And only the saddest of people find pleasure in the misfortune of others.

So it was irrelevent when your paypacket had an extra 2k in it but not when they wanted it back?:rolleyes:
  • Skintslimmer
    Options
    So it was irrelevent when your paypacket had an extra 2k in it but not when they wanted it back?:rolleyes:

What a charming poster you are. :rolleyes: I suggest you don't make assumptions but ask the OP directly.
    Nothing tastes as good as riding a horse feels
  • aj2703
    aj2703 Posts: 876 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2009 at 9:52PM
    Options

Unless i misread what he said, he was signed off sick. I am assuming he thought he was being paid full sickpay not ssp while he was signed off.:rolleyes:
  • bevanuk
    bevanuk Posts: 451 Forumite
    Options
    I would go to Citizen's Advice about this. If a company overpays you there is a time limit on when they can claim it back (I am unsure exactly what it is).
    If you are liable to repay the costs they will have to do it on terms that you can afford, I have contractors paying back £25 a week - but the amount isn't anywhere near the amount you have been paid.
    It's worth remembering that it's their fault, not yours - use that to your advantage. Spending it is your fault though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure