Great 'Sell Your Gold' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Zanziba
    Zanziba Posts: 5,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JDPower wrote: »
    Exactly, go to a reputable jeweller, you'll probably even get a better rate.

Seems a much better idea than putting luck in some online company.

I went to the firts jewellers I saw on the high street and thet offered £5/gram 9ct or £6/g trade in.

I'll try and find time to ring around some more.

Also, my wife is having a "Gold party" where a guy comes and gives £5/g to anyone who comes, cash (and the hostess gets 10%) so that could be another solution for you all.

I would not recommending bagging your valuables and posting them off...
    Nothing to see here...
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zanziba wrote: »
    I went to the firts jewellers I saw on the high street and thet offered £5/gram 9ct or £6/g trade in.

The going rate for buying 9ct gold is £7.50 / gram
    I'll try and find time to ring around some more.

I would, and next time let them know that you know how much it is worth.
    Also, my wife is having a "Gold party" where a guy comes and gives £5/g to anyone who comes, cash (and the hostess gets 10%) so that could be another solution for you all.

Doesn't sound so good to me, you get your mates into your house and they feel obliged to sell their gold for 66% of what they could get else where.

Send them round my house, I'll give them £6/g
    I would not recommending bagging your valuables and posting them off...

Me neither, unless you are sure who you are dealing with. I would also not recommend parting with your gold for a lot less than it is worth.
  • Zanziba
    Zanziba Posts: 5,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I have phoned round and they all seem to be about £5.50 - £6.00 at the jewellers so this has made me think about posting after all.

Hattonmetals are doing £7.55 today. Has anyone (Besides the odd low post counter on here who may just be advertising) had good dealings with these? I am selling 34 grams so not a lot but this equated to an extra £50.
    Nothing to see here...
  • dave_uk_4
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I have phoned round and they all seem to be about £5.50 - £6.00 at the jewellers so this has made me think about posting after all.

Hattonmetals are doing £7.55 today. Has anyone (Besides the odd low post counter on here who may just be advertising) had good dealings with these? I am selling 34 grams so not a lot but this equated to an extra £50.

I came on these boards to try and help and apologise for being a low poster. I am retired but work a couple of mornings to raise cash for the childrens hospice in my area buying and selling gold so I am not advertising. Today I am paying £6.50 for 9ct and sell at £7.65 with £1 per gram going to the hospice. I send my gold to Lois or HGM. I have dealt with Cashforyour gold who advertise high rates but devalue your gold to make a profit, they are middlemen. If you want cash by return send it to Lois in Birmingham, however HGM in London are a a little better on a good day. Most jewellers send to one of these companies or one called Plus Gold who I have never used, they pay the highest but charge a fee so cost prohibitive for smaller quantities. Be careful sending gold by post even by special delivery as many have been 'lost', most in the Birmingham area - I lost £2500 worth last month (see my other posts).
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

Just a thought, could you print off a page from a few online gold buyers, showing what they are paying on that day. Then take it to a highstreet jeweller and haggle a bit.

You may get it up to just £25 less than online, and walking away with the cash in your hand would be better than posting your gold just to make an extra £25.
  • dave_uk_4
    Options
    Just a thought, could you print off a page from a few online gold buyers, showing what they are paying on that day. Then take it to a highstreet jeweller and haggle a bit.

You may get it up to just £25 less than online, and walking away with the cash in your hand would be better than posting your gold just to make an extra £25.

The simple fact is High street jewellers are unable to compete with refiners and end user manufacturers. Lois are end users and Plus Gold are refiners and you should get up to 97% of the gold spot price from either of these. Please note HGM (the best of the rest), Cashforyourgold, and most postal gold companies are not the end men. Cut out the middleman to get the best overall deal. Retail Jewellers try to make 30 to 50% profit as they have the overheads. (Try asking a friendly jeweller where they send it. some will tell you). You can also walk into Lois Jewellery but you cant with any of the others mentioned.
  • sunshinesquirrel
    Options
    Hi

I had been reading these threads for a while and decided to use Hatton Garden Metals. I posted off approx 43.8grams on Saturday. Have come in from work today and there is an email from them saying they had just paid £331.13 into my bank. I have to say I was a bit sceptical before I did it but am pleasantly surprised. They paid out £7.56 per gram today.

Hope this helps.
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dave_uk wrote: »
    The simple fact is High street jewellers are unable to compete with refiners and end user manufacturers.

But they can afford to turn away a sale for the sake of a few quid?

You say they want 30 - 50% profit, but can they afford to turn down a 20% profit? 20% is better than 0%.
  • Hutch100uk
    Options
    I went to a local jewellers which came recommended to me and they paid me £12 per gram for 18 carat and £6.20 per gram for 9 carat. Not sure how this compares to other but I reckon its pretty good for a jewellers.

I got £180 in total - M4G offered me £42!!!!!!!
  • nachi
    nachi Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know how many posts I've made - not a lot I guess, but I've been registered here a while.

I remember dealing with Hatton Garden Metals many years ago, before this huge public awareness of the value of gold and they were great even then. Ok, I went in to the shop and sold my gold so I didn't have to deal with the postal service but I still remember being impressed with the price they paid - no middle men involved - HGM have the equipment to melt down gold. Wish I'd kept it now! I know where I'd be selling it though, if I had.

My reason for posting here is more to warn anyone thinking that companies who throw ££££s at advertising will ever pay them a good rate for their gold. How do you think that mega advertising is paid for? (We all now know their company names.) Yep, that's right, it's paid for with the huge profits they make on buying cheaply from people who wouldn't have a clue what the price of gold is, but they've seen the adverts.

And the reason for second and third progressively higher offers for your gold was recently revealed online as a way of employees earning bonuses. The less they offer you, the higher their bonus. Just google 'The article cash4gold doesn't want you to read'.

A little stall popped up recently in my local shopping center - one person with a locked box, scales and a gold testing kit. It made my heart bleed when I saw the old ladies queueing up, like rabbits caught in headlights, to hand over their vintage jewellery when there's a jewellers on the high street who would be bound to offer them more.

But I guess it's all just the same old aspects of a gold rush, rearing their ugly heads like they have done since we humans decided gold was "IT" !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure