STILL waiting for my contract of employment

Options
Good evening everyone, I have started getting a little angry about the situation I am in....

I applied for a job back in June. Didn't hear anything for a while and then in August, received a message asking me to come for a chat and interview. Along I went. The company is small and the director told me they do not have an office, they work from client to client. So a car was a big yes yes for me.
This all sounded legitimate and above board. I checked companies house and they are registered and the director was on the listing too.

A few weeks after the interview and I got a call saying the job was mine. I asked them to give me a week as I was waiting on a few other interviews, but never heard back from these so accepted.

I have been asking on a weekly basis since September for them to send me the medical questionnaires and contract of employment they told me would be in the post. They told me they had sent it. I waited weeks and then re-contacted, they said they would send again. I have checked, they have the correct address for me. I am getting really quite upset now, as obviously, I have handed in my notice and leave my current job next week. I don't even know where to turn up to next Monday morning, and they just keep promising they will email me the details. They have told me they have sent it to me 3 or 4 times now, I know royal mail is complete rubbish but there is no way they would miss-deliver this many times.

Does anyone have any advice on this? They have told me the job is mine which is great, but they just seem grossly disorganised and are setting the worst possible example to a new employee.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it not possible for the forms to be available for you to pick up
  • henrygregory
    Options
    Hi there, thanks for your quick reply. I could ask them, trouble is it takes them about a week to reply to my emails. Everything seems so slow and dissorganised. I am really worried about what it is going to be like working for them! I thought I had done my homework and checked it all out, and they seemed to be pretty organised and well setup, but after all of this, I am not so sure now.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I'd take this as a sign and keep applying for other jobs.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Options
    Given you have resigned and will be leaving your current employer, you have nothing to lose by turning up on Monday.

Given the length of time they spent in the recruitment process, they certainly appear to be an organisation which may just be slow at providing paperwork which they should. I hope you are lucky.

For the future, remember never to resign from a job until you have a confirmed job offer from another employer.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Either this job doesnt exist or they are extremely inefficient.
    Have they asked your existing employer for a reference?
    Did you look at their accounts on the Companies House website?
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • henrygregory
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I did not take a look at their accounts on Companies House at the time as I had nothing to suspect. They have not asked for any sort of reference from my current employer, and luckily, my current employer has said they can keep me on until November if there are any problems.

As Zazen999 says, I have been looking for more jobs, but now compared to then, seems a lot more different. I am very rarely hearing back from prospective employers. I guess I will just have to keep on at it.

I have the job offer and confirmation in written e-mail. If that helps from a legal view point.

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Options
    I have the job offer and confirmation in written e-mail. If that helps from a legal view point.

If that confirmed a salary, job title and start date then it is all you need. They need to provide written particulars within two months of your starting the job. It doesn't have to be a contract document which you sign: you may have been expecting too much!
  • henrygregory
    Options
    Thanks little voice, they have not confirmed salary via e-mail only verbally, but everything else has been done via e-mail. The thing which worries me the most, is I start with them next week. Due to the nature of the business, I literally turn up each day at a clients address and get on with the work that needs doing. They still have not told me where to go on my first day and there is a week to go. - To me this seems very disorganised.

And even if they do now tell me, I am worried for what the future holds with these guys. Taking so very long to get back to me etc. I may have been better staying with my current employer.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of business takes someone on without a reference from a previous employer? How can they be running a legitimate, efficient business when they don't even arrange for their workers to service clients in advance? I am suspicious of this and would look at their accounts. A promise of employment which is broken is absolutely no use if the company has no money to pay you compensation.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • henrygregory
    Options
    Fengirl, on companieshouse would I select:

Order Current Appointments Report?

It seems to cost £1.00 which is not too bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure