Cheap prices for over 60s - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Cheap prices for over 60s

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
26 replies 5.8K views

Replies

• klondykeklondyke Forumite
    463 posts
    I first came across Staywarm in Martin's book :D, so had a look at the site. It's only available for houses up to 3 bedrooms, so save yourself some research if you have a mansion :-[
  • hi :)
    I have been avidly reading all your comments on the 'staywarm' inclusive package
    is there any other company that offers the same type of deal at more competetive prices..? ???
    how are your requirements checked out to qualify..?
    I am severley disabled and not 60 for a couple of months
    is there a scheme for disabled persons also..?
    thank you all
    your kind help is appreciated
    Mariangela
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • I am with Staywarm, but I'm afraid the good times have gone. It is for over 60's and the price depended on how many people lived in the house, and the number of bedrooms. I started paying £44 per month for as much fuel as you like 4 years ago, and they have just advised me that it will ne £71.25 per month starting in June. That is for a 4 bed house, but they will only take up to 3 bedroom houses now. What you have to remember is that if you go away for a month or so in the winter, you still keep paying the same amount. I have done quite a few calculations and based upon my usage last year I could save about £150 by reverting back to a utilisation account, so even if I was reckless it would still take some catching up to spend £858 per annum as opposed to about £710
  • With a one-bedroom flat and two people StayWarm at £45.07 per month would cost £28 per month less than the lowest cost deal I could find on https://www.uswitch.com.

Looks too good to be true so I had a look at StayWarm’s small print. There it says:
    “H. We reserve the right to withdraw you from StayWarm if:
    iv. You are found to be using large amounts of energy. Some households may therefore become ineligible.”

It doesn’t say what they regard as large amounts and whether they’d give you a warning before switching you to normal tariff.

I don’t object in principle to them putting on a limit but I don’t like the wording being so much open to their own interpretation.
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
  • Paul_VarjakPaul_Varjak Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I switched to STAYWARM about three years ago when they also offered their service to disabled persons aged under sixty.

Since then, there has been a 30% price increase although, in Janaury this year, prices actually went down a few pence per month!

If you do dwitch to STAYWARM, their charging method means it is better to make the switch in autumn. If you switch away from STAYWARM you should do so in the spring.

STAYWARM only offer a dual-fuel service so if you request to switch away from them and one of those switches fail you can end up in the dubious situation of paying your new supplier for one service but still paying STAYWARM for two services! BEWARE!

I have had quite a few problems with STAYWARM as they do not seem to have a proper customer accounting system, though this is probably only historically correct now. However, if I did switch, I have no doubt that if they think I am in arrears (even though I am not) they will prevent any move.
    Any opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
  • Derek_A.Derek_A. Forumite
    74 posts
    I signed on to Staywarm in December last year,on the recomendation of a friend,my wife and i have a three b/r detached house, so the monthly price in Dec. last year was £55, per month.

This price stays the same for a year, then it will go up.
    Since we started on Staywarm, the price has gone up,i beleive by approx 12%.

I read my meter on the 1st of every month, and i work out the usage, so far i have paid out £330, but my usage of Gas and Electric is £295,so i will in all probability change back in December to the cheapest supplier.

So be careful before you change over, do your homework.
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    With a one-bedroom flat and two people StayWarm at £45.07 per month would cost £28 per month less than the lowest cost deal I could find on https://www.uswitch.com.  

Looks too good to be true so I had a look at StayWarm’s small print.  There it says:
    “H. We reserve the right to withdraw you from StayWarm if:
    iv. You are found to be using large amounts of energy.  Some households may therefore become ineligible.”

It doesn’t say what they regard as large amounts and whether they’d give you a warning before switching you to normal tariff.

I don’t object in principle to them putting on a limit but I don’t like the wording being so much open to their own interpretation.

Telecomplus offer UK's cheapest gas and electricity so it is worth having a look at them them - you can see what is on offer at (Moderator comment Affiliate/referral link removed. Please note affiliate/referral links are only allowed on the referrers board. Please read this)and there is not minimum contract because we think we offer the best deal!
    Cheers
    Steen
    Telecomplus customer
  • SmartasssSmartasss Forumite
    873 posts
    So called "Telecom plus customer" Steen Joergensen wrote:
    Telecomplus offer UK's cheapest gas and electricity

Then went on to say:
    we think we offer the best deal!

(The reference to "we" rather gives your game away, Steen - why didn't you come clean?)

And for good measure Steen posted a link which actually takes you to the T+ website!

Finally he gave us e-mail address as *****@telecomplus.org.uk

We aren't as daft as you take us for, Steen Joergensen! (And you have broken the site rules with this post!!)

The ASA last month upheld 4 complaints against T+ for misleading advertising (including the claim made by steen that they offer "the cheapest gas & electricity")!

There are a number of threads discussing T+ on this board:

Telecom Plus Poorer and poorer

Where real customers recount their experiences with T+.

And:

TelecomPlus Exposed

The thread title speaks for itself.

There are others, and a search for TelecomPlus will easily find them all!

Anyone (either over 60 or under) thinking of taking up Steen's suggestion and contacting his website would be well advised to look closely into this outfit before signing anything with them!
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So called "Telecom plus customer" Steen Joergensen wrote:

Then went on to say:

(The reference to "we" rather gives your game away, Steen - why didn't you come clean?) (Steen says: I was not deliberately hiding anything nor being deceitfull!)

And for good measure Steen posted a link which actually takes you to the T+ website!

Finally he gave us e-mail address as *****@telecomplus.org.uk

We aren't as daft as you take us for, Steen Joergensen! (And you have broken the site rules with this post!! (Steen says: I dont think anyone here is daft and yes: sorry!)

The ASA last month upheld 4 complaints against T+ for misleading advertising (including the claim made by steen that they offer "the cheapest gas & electricity")!(Steen says: not my claim - the company has approved this slogan)

There are a number of threads discussing T+ on this board:

Telecom Plus Poorer and poorer

Where real customers recount their experiences with T+.

And:

TelecomPlus Exposed

The thread title speaks for itself.

There are others, and a search for TelecomPlus will easily find them all!

Anyone (either over 60 or under) thinking of taking up Steen's suggestion and contacting his website would be well advised to look closely into this outfit before signing anything with them!
    (Steen says: of course you should check conditions etc)
    Dear Smartass and others who may care to read this

First I have an admission to make and that is that I had not read the top part of the page carefully nor had I read the conditions of the use of the website as well - my speedreading sucks! This is my explanation but not an excuse so I do apologize for this breach of use. :-[

I do and did not hide behind an alias nor did I give any neutral email address because I was under the impression I was doing nothing wrong. Havent you ever clicked through pages of terms and conditions to get to the end? After all this was a chat forum.

My tip or hint was meant as a pointer for infomation but of course, with 20/20 vision and hindsight I should have signed myself as a customer and distributor and not offered a link (as it states not to do in the terms department).

I have also read up on some of the stories unfolding on the website about problems and experiences with Telecomplus (courtesy of Smartass' links above). I feel very sorry for these people :'(. Mistakes do happen and some will be resolved quickly and some initially not so quickly. Fact is where there are people working mistakes are made - just like I did here. We are after all not working in the fraud industry.

I find some of your remarks rather agressive but everyone is allowed to have an opinion of their own (be nice to other people you said somewhere?). Of course you must check out the people you want to give your business to - that is indeed very wise and some people will like what they see and others will not - as it says on this website we all have different circumstances so we have different needs and wishes. I am a REAL customer as well and I have not had any trouble. A few others I know have had some inherited problems from previous suppliers but overall my experiences have been ok so maybe I have been lucky.

I have also learnt that the industry as a whole has an abyssmal reputation for screwing up things. Hopefully competetion and government regulation and intervention will help to improve this.

Actually I have heard that there is also a number of happy customers with Telecomplus: 170'000 or so less the unhappy ones. So there must be something right about it. I do agree that there is some room for improvement and it is a company moving with the times so they (we!) with your input and competition could get it right in time. ;D

Enough said - this was meant to be an apology after all.

Steen Joergensen
    Telecomplus Customer :) and Distributor ;)
  • Paul_VarjakPaul_Varjak Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is something that I do not understand about the unmetered STAYWARM gas and electric when compared to the unmetered supply of WATER.

Does anybody know why unmetered gas/electric supposedly works out cheaper that metered gas/electric but unmetered water is supposedly more expensive than the metered variety?
    Any opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support