We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: £60m refund for mortgage protection hike victims

Options

Comments

• Suzyb_3
    Options
    Me and my partner have mortgage protection insurance for sickness and unemployment but the mortgage is in my name only. Would the insurance cover the mortgage payments if my partner became ill or lost his job?
  • crakerjacker
    Options
    Our policy was increased this year and we maintained it for a couple of months. We then decided to shop around and found this cheaper so we cancelled out original policy.

Will we still be eligible to receive the increased amount back or not?
  • amywhammy
    Options
    I'm looking for MPPI but having read the horror stories I'd like to find a decent trust worthy company that hasn't hiked its prices and won't in the future. Does anyone know one please?
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    amywhammy wrote: »
    I'm looking for MPPI but having read the horror stories I'd like to find a decent trust worthy company that hasn't hiked its prices and won't in the future. Does anyone know one please?

Hi there

The only ones I know of are the ones posted on this site of Martin's, you will find out more information on the Red Box above "Insurance" there should be some advice and information on that one for you, good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • duskie1
    Options
    Just had a letter from my MPPI provider saying they are to increase my premium fron £33.00 month to £54.00 month because I am now a year older. I wasn't told this when I bought the policy.
    Sent them a letter complaining. Can anyone assist / advise

Thanks

Duskie1
  • di3004
    Options
    duskie1 wrote: »
    Just had a letter from my MPPI provider saying they are to increase my premium fron £33.00 month to £54.00 month because I am now a year older. I wasn't told this when I bought the policy.

Thanks

Duskie1

Hi there

That is quite a lot isn't it?:eek:

Hopefully Dunstonh will be along soon to advise on this for you.

If you still have hold of the policy - terms & conds, it may be worth also checking them out as well.
    Good luck.;)
  • duskie1
    Options
    Di 3004

Thanks & regards

duskie1:beer:
  • di3004
    Options
    duskie1 wrote: »
    Di 3004

Thanks & regards

duskie1:beer:

Your very welcome hun, and all the best with this.:beer:

Di
    X
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 117,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

The increase on price due to age is unusual for MPPI plans. Perhaps you bought a yearly renewable version. At the end of the day, if its in the terms that they can do it then it should be allowable. It is normally quite clear when it is though.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • KevinMac_2
    Options
    I've got MPPI with Pinnacle that increased from £25 to £40 in June 2008. They've just told me I don't qualify for a refund as the increase was in 2008 and not 2009. Anyone know if there is a way around this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure