Freezing Rhubarb?

in Old Style MoneySaving
47 replies 76.5K views

Replies

• Hi there
    have just been offered all the rhubarb I can pick out of my elderly neighbours garden....she has loads and hates the stuff.:confused:
    What I was wondering was
    1 how do I know when it is off
    2 do I cook it before I cook it or do I cook it first
    3 how do I cook it

Thanks for any help
    I MAY HAVE NOTHING.....BUT ITS MY NOTHING
  • TopherTopher Forumite
    589 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    sampainter wrote: »
    Hi there
    have just been offered all the rhubarb I can pick out of my elderly neighbours garden....she has loads and hates the stuff.:confused:
    What I was wondering was
    1 how do I know when it is off
    2 do I cook it before I cook it or do I cook it first
    3 how do I cook it

Thanks for any help
    Its off (if there's such a thing) when the centre goes hollow, this can be just a small section, in which case, save the rest.
    At this time of year, Rhubarb isn't so tender, so I'd suggest slicing off top and bottom, and peeling a thin layer all the way down the length, all the way around, (peel thinly in other words).
    Cut into 1" or 2cm slices, put into a pan with a tiny amount of water, not even covering it, and ...... 2 choices here,
    boil until it starts to lose its structure.
    You can sweeten at this stage or leave it until you know what its going to be used for, freeze this in quantities you want.
    OR
    instead of the tiny amount of water, boil more water before dropping the rhubarb in, then in smaller quantities blanche the rhubarb pieces (blanche= just hit the water, leave for 30-60 seconds then fish out & cool)
    This can open freeze on trays then bag up. It stays relatively separate but doesn't count as cooked.
    Free food, YUM
    T
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just what Topher said!

Alternatively, I sweeten mine with a spoon of HM marmalade. Ginger (grated fresh or powdered) is nice, too.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i have always just wiped the rhubarb, cut it in chunks, put in freezer bags and freeze and it stays freeflow
  • plumduff55plumduff55 Forumite
    591 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭
    Hi, I just wipe rhubarb and cut into 1" pieces. I add 1 tablespoon water and microwave. Time depends on amount, just keep checking and stirring every couple of minutes.

I then make Rhubarb Crumble and freeze in old take away containers. Once frozen, take out of container and wrap in clingfilm to save space in freezer.
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • moanymoanymoanymoany Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rhubarb is great to freeze, either cooked or not. It is good for you and I wish I had an unlimited supply!
  • mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the neighbour's fence has blown over and flattened the rhubarb I was so carefully forcing. I've had to cut what I can. I've got about 11oz. Is that enough for a pie? :confused:

And can I just dice it and chuck it in the freezer, as I haven't got time to do anything else. :p
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes just bag it and freeze it will be fine, not sure about enough for a pie but you could buy a little more when its time to do your pie or you could add some apple maybe
  • troll35troll35 Forumite
    712 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yes just cut it into chunks and freeze it, though 11oz will be enough for a small pie or crumble. The rhubarb plant will recover and you should get plenty of new growth for unforced rhubarb later.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    troll35 wrote: »
    11oz will be enough for a small pie or crumble.

:(
    troll35 wrote: »
    The rhubarb plant will recover and you should get plenty of new growth for unforced rhubarb later.

Oh, I'm not too worried about the plant. They're pretty indestructable, even for me. :D I wanted to leave it a bit longer and get a bit more though. :mad:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides