PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

NHBC 4 yr old house with crack in wall which split blockwork

Options
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a house which was a newbuild 4 years ago, as such it has the remainder of the NHBC guarantee.

The house itself is on a steep sloping plot, so the main entrance is on the middle floor of a 3 story townhouse and the backgarden & kitchen are on the floor below street level at the back of the house.

Anyway, the concern is that I spotted in the garage a crack running floor to ceiling. The crack itself is only about 2mm wide and runs a slight zig zag AROUND the blockwork through the motar. However at one point the block itself has cracked right through implying it was under stress.

That is the only sign of any movement I can see in the property.

On the one hand I want to assume it's just the building settling after build, however the split block concerns me that it's more than just normal settling as it implies a lot of force.

My question; If as my mother puts it "the house is sliding down the hill" would any cost to rectify (i.e. underpinning) be covered by the NHBC guarantee and does it need to be noted to them before sale to me?

Comments

• ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Get a full survey done and see what the engineer says.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,731 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If "the house is sliding down the hill" I would personally be looking for another house!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The point of buying a relatively new house is that you don't want any major works; underpinning puts off a lot of buyers so the place may be difficult to sell. NHBC are a pain to deal with by all accounts, you will need a full structural survey as they will provide their own surveyor who may or may not agree with yours. I wouldn't touch this house personally.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • RLH33
    RLH33 Posts: 371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Run away fast:eek::eek:

If the house is only 4 years old and has a crack that bad it is never going to be good news - you really have to weigh up whether it is worth laying out more money for a structural engineer or walk away now. If the house needs underpinning then you will be looking at serious building work and I doubt whether it would be mortgageable. Plus you will have serious trouble selling it on later.

From what I have read about NHBC they are a nightmare to get any action out of.
  • DeadCat
    DeadCat Posts: 59 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2009 at 11:05PM
    Options
    Without seeing the crack or knowing the layout of the building it is hard to give a firm opinion on what has caused it. Where is the garage located in the house? Are there are more signs of cracking in the house, particularly when viewed from outside?

If this is a single crack which is roughly vertical it doesn't sound as though it is caused by subsidence. It is more likely to caused by drying shrinkage or thermal movement of that section of wall. If so this is not a serious defect and the crack width of 2mm does not indicate anything more serious either. The fact that the crack goes through the blockwork doesn't give me more cause for concern as blockwork is weak when shear forces are applied to it (as opposed to compressive strength for which they are designed for).

Cracks are normally monitored for 18 months to see whether they get bigger/smaller/open/close and then a decision taken on remedial work following the monitoring. As you're in the process of buying unfortunately you can't do this but you can ask the vendor how long the crack has been there and if it has changed in appearance over time.
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And do you think the vendors will tell you the truth?
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    DeadCat wrote: »
    Without seeing the crack or knowing the layout of the building it is hard to give a firm opinion on what has caused it. Where is the garage located in the house? Are there are more signs of cracking in the house, particularly when viewed from outside?

If this is a single crack which is roughly vertical it doesn't sound as though it is caused by subsidence. It is more likely to caused by drying shrinkage or thermal movement of that section of wall. If so this is not a serious defect and the crack width of 2mm does not indicate anything more serious either. The fact that the crack goes through the blockwork doesn't give me more cause for concern as blockwork is weak when shear forces are applied to it (as opposed to compressive strength for which they are designed for).

Cracks are normally monitored for 18 months to see whether they get bigger/smaller/open/close and then a decision taken on remedial work following the monitoring. As you're in the process of buying unfortunately you can't do this but you can ask the vendor how long the crack has been there and if it has changed in appearance over time.

The house is semi detached and the garage is part of the house in the centre is a garage for each of the semi's. The crack is in the wall dividing the two properties.

There is no other cracking visible anywhere inside OR outside the property.

The vendor was not aware of the crack until I pointed it out.

I plan on asking the neighbour if I can see inside their garage to see if the crack appears on their side too.
  • Milliewilly
    Milliewilly Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Options
    Please Please run away now. I had a similar problem on an older house and spent 4 years and a LOT of money suing the Surveyor. Eventually we settled out of Court but I was still £3K out of pocket for my legal costs and had to sell the house to cash buyers only as it became un mortgageable.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If the party wall is 2 story it will extend into the loft, check there as well.

I think I would pass on this place if concerned.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like a settlement crack from your description.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family