PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

baking beans

Options

Comments

• ellie2912
    ellie2912 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. I knew i could count on you lot to give me some tips.:D ;)
  • odds-n-sods
    Options
    Rice also works well, same as the dried beans - dont' worry that it browns!
  • madmittens
    madmittens Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Being new to this baking malarkey -

I've seen tubs of baking beans for sale, but wondered if there's a MS alternative for blind baking? Am wanting to try making a quiche ...
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain ...
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to use dried beans eg Haricot
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dried beans, but you won't be able to eat them or coins (which you can reuse for their original purpose;) )

Don't forget to line the pastry case with greaseproof paper before putting in beans/coins.
  • Ickle-toots
    Options
    I always use dried peas ( come in a box ) or if I have none of those I've used dried pasta or rice ( as previous op states, make sure you use paper 1st )
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought Kidney beans for this purpose (dried!) and they worked perfectly. Now I just have to work out what to do with the rest of the packet!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi madmittens,

There's an older thread that should help so I've added your post to it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • sallyrsm
    sallyrsm Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    I use copper coins!! line with greaseproof and then use the coins. Then for fun offer a small child some pocket money from the freshly baked pastry case. Ouch! (I've never done that but I know someone that did and the child fell for it about four times)
  • FrugleRock
    FrugleRock Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Just wondering if there is anything I case use instead of baking beans to cook pastry for a quiche.

I don't have any beans at the moment and was hoping to find an alternative instead of having to buy them!!!!

Thanks in advance.
    :D Gemx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family