Novice Gardener Needs Advice Please (Merged)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
103 replies 4.6K views
pinkpauline34pinkpauline34 Forumite
130 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I had a beautiful tub of spring flowers (daffodils and anemones) which are now past their best. I planted them from bulbs. Is it possible to dig up the bulbs and store them until next year?

Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• Just leave them and they will come back next year.
  • wigginsmumwigginsmum Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once the leaves start to turn yellow, cut the stems down to around 4 inches tall and tuck the pot somewhere till next year. That's what Geoff Hamilton always recommended.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Hi
    I have never in my life done any sort of gardening but i've been in my house a year now and it has a decent sized front and back garden, i'd like to pant some flowers and possibly do some veg and maybe even a herb garden for DS as he likes to get involved in everything i do, anyone know where to start? are there any good websites for beginners which cover the basics?
    TIA x
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • You could give http://www.allotment.org.uk/index.php
    a try, very friendly forum, loads of advice, no allotment required :D
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?
  • pandas66pandas66 Forumite
    18.8K Posts
    Its a good time of year to start seeds off astons, have you some spare room indoors for a few trays?

Saves a bundle of money growing your own, I started flowers and veg off and had a great garden 2 years ago. Didn't do a great deal last year as I never got in the swing but am going to this year.
    I bought a few packets of cheap seeds and planted those up in plastic tubs, egg cartons, ice cream tubs, any free tub actually.
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • Thnx richyrich, gonna go snoop now!

Yep panda, got loads of room for trays, what seeds do you suggest i get? nan has got loads of ice cream tubs which i'll half inch off her tommorrow!
    18.8K Posts
    what do you want to grow?

Do you have any pots too?
    I grew some great flowers, tomatoes and herbs. Just a min I shall check the names.
    On for in a pot is the nastuton (sp) it needs to be confined IMO, in a bed it will run riot but confined in a pot it grows well and flowers brill!
    Panda xx

18.8K Posts
    This is nastution (sp)
    nast.jpg

and this is another easy grower.......its lobellia, you can get it in blue, white and pink I think, grows well in borders and fills an area quite quick with great colour, dies off at the end of autumn.

lobellia.jpg
    Panda xx

• Tomatoes are a must if you want veg.
    Runner Beans
    Courgettes

They all get nice yields and they are not too hard to grow.
    :beer:
  • pandas66 wrote:
    what do you want to grow?

Do you have any pots too?
    I grew some great flowers, tomatoes and herbs. Just a min I shall check the names.
    On for in a pot is the nastuton (sp) it needs to be confined IMO, in a bed it will run riot but confined in a pot it grows well and flowers brill!
    I dunno what i wanna grow, easy stuff to begin with, like i said i am a compltete novice, the only think i've ever grown is cress at school:rotfl: that why i need some ideas, do you mean plant pots? no i havent got any of those, i'm sure i can get some in the pound shop or asda cheap enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals