Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

In search of the perfect cooked breakfast!

New Post Advanced Search

In search of the perfect cooked breakfast!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
31 replies 4.5K views
Penny-Pincher!!Penny-Pincher!! Forumite
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Evening All

I am in search of cooking the perfect breakfast/brunch.

We normally have one 1-2 times a month, but never seem to time it very well, sausages over cooked/dry and bacon chewy:o So how do you plan yours?

Do you fry, oven cook or grill the sausages and bacon? I normally cook mushrooms in a little butter but was thinking of oven cooking from raw-would this work? Normally serve:

Sausage
Back Bacon unsmoked
Hash Brown (cooked in oven from frozen)
Mushrooms
Beans
Egg (fried or scrambled)
Tomato for OH (cut in half and lightly fried)
Occasionally a fried slice

Really dont want that greasy taste and want it all tasting fresh but not fatty. ATM I cook the sausages/hash browns in the oven (put them on first), mushroom in a little butter, bacon in frying butter (small knob of butter), beans in pan or MW, tomato (cut in half and fried gently), fried bread (brush with oil on either side and dry fry)-dont want it soggy with fat. Eggs either scrambled or fried and flipped.

I just can never time it all correctly. So how do you do yours?

Thanks in advance.

PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS

Replies

• SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    21.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do the bacon and sausages in the George Foreman. Everything else is got ready eg beans in the pan ready to be heated at last minute. Don't have hash browns cos no ones keen on them. Have toast or bread and butter not fried and not very good at getting toast warm to table (is only 2 slice toaster). We have oven cooked mushrooms from raw before. I think the bigger mushrooms taste better cooked this way. Fried eggs are done at the very last minut and then as I cut kids food up at the table OH does our eggs.
  • Bogof_BabeBogof_Babe Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only done a "full English" once, for visitors (Irish ;)) who were off to catch the ferry home.

We grilled a pack of bacon, while scrambling eggs in the microwave, and had 3 saucepans of tinned mushrooms, beans and tomatoes on the hob. We have a 4-slice and a 2-slice toaster so they were on the go twice.

It all came together okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for a stress free exercise! No sausages sorry - that would have been a challenge too far!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• mistymisty Forumite
    1K posts
    For me the perfect cooked breakfast is prepared by someone else!! never as good if i have to faff about doing it myself.

Bacon back rindless - grilled, crispy
    egg - scrambled or fried(no runny middle)
    mushrooms in a tiny bit of butter
    beans,
    tomato - grilled
    fried bread - little bit of oil then grilled under toaster
    didn't have sausages for years cos of what goes in them but brill butcher now get pork and tomato - stabbed then grilled.

yum yum
  • reveriereverie Forumite
    427 posts
    Oh Penny Pincher, that sounds so appealing!

If you fancy an easier option, Jamie Oliver fries the sausages, bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes in one big frying pan. (Give the sausages a head start). Then he breaks eggs around them in the pan. You have to line the stuff up in the pan so you cut it and end up with a bit of everything for each person. Then serve it with thick slices of lightly toasted bloomer bread with butter on, big pot of tea and lots of brown sauce.

Very nice and easy peasy.
  • Essex-girl_2Essex-girl_2 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    I cook bacon sausages eggs mushrooms and fried slice about every other week. Once everything bar the eggs are done I put it in a low oven to keep warm. I then fry the eggs for each person - ie kids first then oh then mine so we dont sit down and eat at exactly the same time but it tastes better that way.

Dont do fried egg but do eggy bread/french toast once in a while.

Im feeling really hungry now!
  • This is how I cook a full(ish) english. BTW I cook it on a really big electric griddle plate. That way I can fit every thing on.

Sausages on first, when they are about half way cooked I then add the back (smoked back bacon for us). After a min or 2 I then add thick cut mushrooms and half cut tomatoes (I like them to be slightly caramalised((is that the right word??)), I will then put the beans in the microwave. I like my bacon crispy. Thats it. Plus we eat it more when we are in the caravan on holiday, always tastes better when your on your hols and outside.

Meant to say, when I put the mushrooms and tomatoes on I then add the eggs. Like I said, its a huge griddle plate so everything fits on. Plus no fat or butter added at all.
    I also remember the words of my friends, but I would rather have enemies than friends like you :p

:p would like to make it known that ZubeZubes avvy is a DHN, she's not dancing :o
  • Jay-Jay_4Jay-Jay_4 Forumite
    7.4K posts
    I use loads of ovenware, pans and dishes for this but I get it all out while it's hot so I don't mind (and also because DH does the washing up :D )

I put the sausages in the oven first

Then slice the mushrooms and put them in a medium frying pan (no fat) and put a large saucepan lid on so that they sweat.

Beans go in a dish ready for the micro

Tinned tomatoes go in a dish for the micro (yuk.... these are for hubby)

Cut the fat from the bacon with scissors and put the large frying pan on with a few drops of oil.

Put the small frying pan on a very low heat ready for the eggs.

Bread goes in the toaster ready to switch on.

Bacon goes in the pan and cooks, this first lot is put on a plate at the bottom of the oven with tin foil over.

Eggs go into the small pan and are left on minimum heat

Press start on micro (beans)

Next lot of bacon goes onto the plate in the oven

Take lid off mushrooms and stir in a bit of butter, keep on a low heat.

Flip eggs

Take beans out, put tomatoes in micro

Switch off oven

All food is plated up and put back in oven to keep hot and then toaster is switched on. If the kids are having some I take theirs through now so that hubby can get them seated first.

Sort cups of tea out, get cutlery, salt and pepper, butter toast and put all food onto a tray ready to deliver to hubby (and kids toast) :D

While I'm taking hubby's through I put more toast in for me :D

voila :D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    my way would be to do the hash browns, bacon, tomato and beans in the oven then sausage and mushroom in frying pan and poach the eggs, wouldnt have a fried slice tho i love them but would probably need another pan for that, blimey my mouth is watering now
  • shammyjackshammyjack
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a huge double sided cast iron griddle plate that spans the full width of the oven top covering 2 gas rings, one side is flat the other is ribbed for steaks etc .

Using the flat surface I turn on 2 gas rings and have one fairly high and one on low, this means I have hot and cooler areas so everything goes on and if cooking too fast I just move it to a cooler spot, eggs of course go on last cooked in the bacon fat.

I live alone but when I have guests it can handle breakfast for 6 with ease.

shammy
  • pavlovs_dogpavlovs_dog Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i normally find having a willing slave helps (to lay the table, carry things back and forth, stir this, check on that :D )

i think making use of the microwave is a great idea. scrambled eggs are an easy 3 minute job, as are poached eggs.

other than that, the secret really does come down to timing..just like a perfect sunday roast really.

for those feeling decadent, and under the school of thought that someone else's always tastes nicer :D , i think bhs cannot be beaten for the value offered by their cooked breakkie. and, whats more..no washing up :j :rotfl:
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...