We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Will just plugging in sky box in new home make it work?

Options
Hi all

I am moving to a new house in 2 week, so had two related questions.

1) The new flat has a commual dish shared by the whole building and a working (AFAIK) sky-point already present in the living room. Will I be able to just carry my current sky-box to the new home and will it just start working without any installation needed? My current home has a communal satellite too, so I have never really had or needed a separate satellite dish for myself.

2) My contract completes 1 year next month. Can I cancel and get a new contract in my girlfriends name in the new flat (even after I have plugged in and used my old box there for around a month)? The reason to cancel and get a new contract is to make use of the free store vouchers they give out, plus I can sell off my old Sky box to someone (I guess).

Thanks a lot, appreciate the help a lot!!

Greg.

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    1) The new flat has a commual dish shared by the whole building and a working (AFAIK) sky-point already present in the living room. Will I be able to just carry my current sky-box to the new home and will it just start working without any installation needed? My current home has a communal satellite too, so I have never really had or needed a separate satellite dish for myself.

It should do however it may need to be hooked up on the multiway splitter that you should find in a cabinet on a communial landing.
    2) My contract completes 1 year next month. Can I cancel and get a new contract in my girlfriends name in the new flat (even after I have plugged in and used my old box there for around a month)? The reason to cancel and get a new contract is to make use of the free store vouchers they give out, plus I can sell off my old Sky box to someone (I guess).
    Yes,you should be able to,just tell them you've moved after your year's up & you cant get Sky because you have no line of sight to the dish because of high trees BUT again,dont tell them your new address.
  • mynokraptor
    Options
    it does not make any difference whether you tell them your new location or not. the fact that you have had a contract will not prevent your partner getting a contract as a new customer...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport