Combining a gos/oil boiler into a solid fuel system

Options
Morning,

I have a four-bed detached house in the middle of cold, bleak Cumbria. At the moment it's heated with a Charwood multifuel stove which heats both the hot water and the radiators. Providing there's a fire lit, it's a complete central heating system, with thermostat control which, once everything's at the desired temperature, shuts the air supply down and the fire slumbers. With the cost of firewood being what it is, I'm not sure it's cheaper than oil (my village isn't on gas), but I do love having a fire lit and would always have one lit while at home.

However....it would be lovely to also not have to have the fire lit all the time, so I was wondering three things:

1). Does anyone know of a system where a standard boiler would cut in if the temperature of the water coming off the fire fell below a certain level?

2). What the likely cost of installing an oil tank and a boiler would be...all the radiators and plumbing inside the house is done.

3). Would it be cheaper to look at gas cylinders and a gas boiler?

I don't think I'd ever get the money back on installing an additional system unless I sold the house (some people may be scared by a solid fuel system, although some would see it as an asset), but it might be convenient to have the back up of something that is simple and turns itself on.

Any advice, gratefully received!

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 3 October 2009 at 10:15AM
    Options
    There are a couple of threads that have covered this - in this section.

I have such a system.

Without going over all the posts - which I suggest you search for and read - there are big safety problems in having an existing 'open fire' incorporated into a CH system.

Somebody posted a link to a system that does what you require; but it is very complicated and presumably expensive.

I had my system from new when I had the house built(it is an open Baxi fire) and works - but there are drawbacks, all connected with the safety issues - and with hindsight I would not have had such a system.

The other option you haven't mentioned is to get some form of Heat pump.

EDIT
    This is one thread - there are others

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=643447&highlight=explosion
  • custard_cream_3
    custard_cream_3 Posts: 352 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2009 at 10:28AM
    Options
    Thank you! I did search, but clearly didn't use the right words.

I'm half hoping it's not worth the hassle because I don't think I fancy doing it unless it's easy.

I'll read and see what I think.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can link the two systems, however its not a simple task.

Stoves are vented or open systems, gas / oil boilers are unvented / closed / pressurised systems, to get them to work in conjunction with one another needs some one who knows what they are doing and a good bit of jiggerypokery with ya pipes !
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport