We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

advice on multiroom

Options
any advice?
i have sky in my lounge with full package. my son has sky in his room but no subscription, just free channels. we also have seperate dishes for the 2 boxes, been up years. now my son has decided he wants multiroom, but when i enquired its going to cost £60 for installation .what i want to know is, is it possible to just have a card sent out to use in my sons room and pay the extra £10 a month or is this classed has having 2 subscriptions because they run from seperate boxes

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    All multiroom subs run from separate boxes - did you mean dishes?

There should be no installation needed. You already have the box connected up. Just phone Sky and say you have a Sky box already receiving free channels and now wsih to take out a multirrom sub for that box - you may not need another card as they may be able to activate that card for multiroom, unless you don't have a card in which case yes they should just send one out.

You will need to make sure that both boxes are connected to the same telephone line though.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    When you say "my son has decided he wants multiroom" does he want another Sky box or just subscribe to Sky's channels?
    If it's the latter,all you need to do is ring Sky & ask them to activate the existing card (if the is one) & pair it to the box.Now if you have his subscription added to your account,you will have to connect both sky boxes to a working phone line otherwise Sky will charge you full price for his subscription.
    If it goes in his name,then he can pay £25 ish for a no phone line install but then then it'll be full price for the subscription.
    If he has no card,simply tell sky you have a freesat Sky box & want to subscribe & they'll send out the card.Again the thing with the phone applies but you can buy DIY phone extensions from Argos for a few quid.
    Hope this covers things for you.
  • trixie73
    trixie73 Posts: 933 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yeah sorry i meant dishes not boxes. ther is a card in the box upstairs that just receives free channels.
    thanx
  • spike7451
    Options
    trixie73 wrote: »
    yeah sorry i meant dishes not boxes. ther is a card in the box upstairs that just receives free channels.
    thanx

Then all you need to do is connect it to a phoneline (if it is'nt already) & call Sky to activate & upgrade the card.
  • trixie73
    trixie73 Posts: 933 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spike7451 wrote: »
    Then all you need to do is connect it to a phoneline (if it is'nt already) & call Sky to activate & upgrade the card.
    great ,thanx.
    i will also need to connect the 1 downstairs to a phoneline aswel then cos thats not connected
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    I know you are supposed to have it connected to a phone line but mine was only connected for a day until I need to move something and I never plugged it back in. Never been an issue
  • spike7451
    Options
    Once you've done that,sky'll do a 'Ringback' every month to check both boxes are still in the same house & to download any box office/PPV buys stuff so it might be worth blocking your sons box with a PIN number (usually the last 4 numbers of the digibox serial number)
    <Press "Services" then 3 on the remote,enter the PIN to access these settings,if that does'nt work,Sky can unlock it for you.>
  • spike7451
    Options
    juliescot wrote: »
    I know you are supposed to have it connected to a phone line but mine was only connected for a day until I need to move something and I never plugged it back in. Never been an issue

How long have you had it?
    Sky only seem to care if it's multiroom in my experience.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    juliescot wrote: »

One box unconnected is not an issue as you don't have to have it connected. However multiroom must be connected to the phoneline at all times and it is well policed.

After a few failed ringbacks you will be contacted and if you still don't connect them you will be charged two separate subs.
  • juliescot
    juliescot Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    Been with Sky for more years than I care to remember but never had multiroom so maybe that's it. Have more than one box but only one card
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport