We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sky box playing up - only at night?

Options
Any
Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi everyone,

I am not very technical so I am hoping someone can help.

We have 2 Sky boxes at home. Mine in my bedroom is simple Sky box on Multiroom. This one started playing up recently. BUT only at the evening! During the day is fine, which is really weird.

In the past 2 weeks it keeps picking channels I can watch. Very often it says "no satellite signal" but if I keep changing channels and then jump back to the one I want to watch it will work. Sometimes I have to keep trying for few minutes to get it there though.

Last night it was the second time this week when it didn't work at all. "No satellite signal is being received" and it gave me no channel at all. I called Sky and they said the problem is my box. But why does it keep doing this only at the evening??

Our other Sky box downstairs is fine.

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like the port you are connected to on the LNB is faulty,you should have one spare on the dish so try switching to that one if you can.Especially if it's only doing it on certain channels (118/119/120/301/301/401/402 ect)
    However it could also be the smartcard or the 'tuner' in the box itself.
    Try this first:
    Turn off the power to the box,then press & hold 'Back up' on the box & turn on the power.
    Continue holding the 'Back Up' until the traffic lights on the front of the box come on & you get an on screen message.
    When this goes,wait 5 minutes & turn the box off,wait 2 minutes & turn on & allow the box to reboot.
    If that does'nt work, try swapping the boxes around for a night,if it still does it then it's the box but if it does it with the other box,then it's the LNB.
    If you need to replace the box,then try a car boot sale as you can pick them up for a few quid! I got one the other week for £7 to replace a mates faulty one.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you very much.

I did do some cable unscrewing and switching off last night when on the phone with Sky .. But not the one where you hold "back up" down for while. What should show up on the screen?

Our other box is Sky+ and my hubby says that my card will not work in that one.

If it is the box, I might just buy small flat screen TV with freeview, I really mainly watch Dave and it will save me £5 a month.. :confused:
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    It should say something like

"Updating system software,please do not switch of....ect ect..."

The Sky+ card will work but you wont get movies/sports or other premium channels.
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What is your Sky Digibox make and model number (on the label underneath)?
    Grundig and Thomson models are notorious for the symptoms you describe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport