Peel-Away or Kling-Strip - which is better

Options
1235»

Comments

• icicat
    icicat Posts: 194 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey all, I've been using peelaway 1. It's ok, still get areas unaffected and it is a huge cleanup job. One question, what do you do with the waste water? I have accumulated lots and don't want to pour it down the drain as it is contaminated with peelaway and waste paint, that possibly has lead (though I dont know for sure)
  • Flowboy
    Flowboy Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking into trying Peelaway on a job. About 15 years ago we used Ronseal Peel-off Ronstrip (although it's no longer available) which I suspect Peelaway 1 is very similar to. Ronstrip came as a powder - mixed with water, pasted on & left for several hours. It was very good, although you still have to hand finish - it's not magic! We stripped all the beams in an old farmhouse - they had all sorts of paints in dozens of layers; emulsion, gloss, limewash & most of it came off, with some adjustments to time on the paint etc. Some came off v quickly in a couple of hours, others overnight & needed to be kept moist - spraying water & / or covering with clingfilm. Very messy but used plastic sheet & old sheets etc to soak up spillages & when neutralising with water vinegar mix. Saves a huge amount of elbow grease & potentially toxic sanding (lead) dust or fumes if burning off... These types of paste-on strippers use caustic compounds, highly corrosive to aluminium & your skin & eyeballs if splashed. Wear safety specs/goggles & gloves, long sleeves etc. You do end up with a lot of paint / stripper sludge / muck but bag up & bin it. Washing off neutraliser fluid is not so great but it is mostly water / vinegar with some stripper & paint remains in it so you can leave in old buckets / paint tubs to settle out & evaporate, leaving dry-ish deposits to scrape & bag up. It's probably theoretically illegal to pour down drains. No doubt many have done that. Eventually the lead compounds will settle out - nobody drinks sewer water but it does all get flushed out to sea so has environmental effects, as do washing powders, roadside run-off etc...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure