Heinz Ketchup plastic bottle

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
13 replies 2.9K views
socks_uksocks_uk Forumite
2.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Just having a moan and thought this was the best place to do it!

Who else thinks the change of plastic used for the 'top-down' squeezy Heinz Ketchup bottles was a bad move? When you get more than half-way through the contents the vacuum crushes the thin plastic and it makes a horrible noise as you try and get the contents out.

OK, rant over... I only bought them because they were on an offer but I think I'll give them a miss next time.
Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
Debt at Feb 2021 = £7287
Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024

Replies

• socks_uk wrote: »
    Just having a moan and thought this was the best place to do it!

Who else thinks the change of plastic used for the 'top-down' squeezy Heinz Ketchup bottles was a bad move? When you get more than half-way through the contents the vacuum crushes the thin plastic and it makes a horrible noise as you try and get the contents out.

OK, rant over... I only bought them because they were on an offer but I think I'll give them a miss next time.

Not had heinz for a while now. All about the reggae reggae tomotoe sauce for me :j
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • Turn it over (so it's not standing on the lid). Make sure lid is firmly closed. Give it a bit of a bang on something hard, so that the sauce runs down to the bottom. Then open the lid and squeeze the bottle on the sides - that is the 'short' sides where you don't normally squeeze. That will let some air in and break the vacuum. Turn it back onto its lid...... next time you use it it should be OK... hope that makes sense!
  • socks_uksocks_uk Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I'm moaning about too much about it not squeezing out as much as the way the bottle crushes and makes a noise as it's squeezed.

I'll turn it over and give it a go although I thought the whole point of these bottles was to stand them on their lids.
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at Feb 2021 = £7287
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • i always squeeze them the other way once used in order to 'reset' the equilibrium. works well
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • If you lie them on their side they leak orange goo all over your fridge.
    Or did they fix that problem?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • I cat stand any sauce not in glass bottles , they quite frankly taste all different.

I can stomach heinz tom at a push , but definately not hp sauce.
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
  • Ugh yes i hate that noise too! Sounds similar to fingers down a black-board imo.
  • Heinz have had a problem with their plastic when they went 100% Biodegradable. This really annoyed me as you waste about 1/6th of the Ketchup in the bottle. You end up scraping it out with a knife.

The plastic performs a little like it's been left out in the sun for a while.

Apparantly (careline) they have changed the plastic on the 700g pack, but are still producing this on the other packs. Imagine how many packs of Squeezy Tomato Ketchup are out there in the UK with this underperforming plastic. Do you think maybe they might have tested it?

Someone will have had a hard time about this.
  • dampdaveskidampdaveski Forumite
    529 Posts
    ✭✭
    I've noticed the Salad cream bottles are a lot sturdier, not sure about HP sauce
    though TBH not sure if I care either :)
    The advice I give on here is based on my many years in the preservation industry. I choose to remain anonymous, I have no desire to get work from anyone. No one can give 100% accurate advice on a forum if I get it wrong you'll get a sincere apology and that's all:D
    Don't like what I have to say? Call me on 0800 KMA;)
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An even worse design is Sainsbury's SO Organic squeezable honey.

It worked well at first, but I only use it now and then, so it's now crystallised and gone solid, so not only can I not squeeze it out, the shape of the bottle makes it near impossible to use a knife to get it out either. Best before Feb 2011... Pah! Back to jars for me!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals