Second year study at the open uni, advice please

Options
I'm starting a 60 point course this year with the Open University and I am a little worried.

Last year and this year I had a lot of personal and financial problems which effected my grade and now I'm worried I wont be able to cope this year.

I keep thinking I wont be motivated or find the right time to study, really I'm after some tips off people who have been in the same situation on how you organised your study time better and dealt with all the other problems going on around.

I really want to do the work and pass, I just don't want to feel a failure . :(

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Think the trick with this, as with anything, is to put it in a box. Work out each week, month, or year, how much time you need to do the course. I did my masters' dissertation whilst working and had a lot of trouble finding the time.

So, on a Sunday night, think "need to do 5 hours this week". Then, sit with your diary and work out when you're going to do them - "I'll do an hour every day after work". Then just block that time out "wanna come for a drink?" "sorry, I'm busy - can I meet you in an hour?" "someone's on the phone to talk about..." "tell them I'll call back".

Best bet, really, is to get out of the house if you can...go to the library, turn your phone off and just view it as something you have to do. Easier said than done, I know.
  • movingforward2010
    movingforward2010 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 September 2009 at 6:05PM
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Think the trick with this, as with anything, is to put it in a box. Work out each week, month, or year, how much time you need to do the course. I did my masters' dissertation whilst working and had a lot of trouble finding the time.

So, on a Sunday night, think "need to do 5 hours this week". Then, sit with your diary and work out when you're going to do them - "I'll do an hour every day after work". Then just block that time out "wanna come for a drink?" "sorry, I'm busy - can I meet you in an hour?" "someone's on the phone to talk about..." "tell them I'll call back".

Best bet, really, is to get out of the house if you can...go to the library, turn your phone off and just view it as something you have to do. Easier said than done, I know.

Thanks :) I'm not sure how many hours study per week a 60 point course requires. Turning my phone off is a good idea, I still live at home so get interruptions, think my local library closes at 6pm during the week but I'm going to check if its open Saturday afternoons.

I put in a lot of work in last year and was getting high marks in the TMA's and then it went a bit down hill for TMA4 and the ECA :o
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Options
    My DH is starting his in Feb. I think a 60 point course is 18 hours a week? hat is what we're working on for him.

Like the tip about blocking out diary sections. May send him to the local library as I work from home and it will be too easy to distract him!
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • movingforward2010
    Options
    ooooh 18 sounds lots:o I was thinking about 2 hours 6 days a week, I will need one day study free because I'll be doing 38 hours full time work too.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Options
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • flower24
    flower24 Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    Options
    It's only a guide really.

I've been very disorganised this year (I have an ECA due in tomorrow that hasn't been started yet!!). I've done nowhere near 16 hours work a week but got good marks. I guess it depends how you work. I work best under pressure lol.
  • movingforward2010
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »

• movingforward2010
    Options
    It's only a guide really.

I've been very disorganised this year (I have an ECA due in tomorrow that hasn't been started yet!!). I've done nowhere near 16 hours work a week but got good marks. I guess it depends how you work. I work best under pressure lol.

Oh no :eek: I thought if you sent in the ECA late it wasn't accepted. Hope you get it sorted :)
  • flower24
    flower24 Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    Options
    wxmlad wrote: »
    Oh no :eek: I thought if you sent in the ECA late it wasn't accepted. Hope you get it sorted :)

It won't be late ;) I've got til midday tomorrow :p
  • movingforward2010
    Options
    It won't be late ;) I've got til midday tomorrow :p

lol, I'd be in to much of a panic :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts