Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Sky Box channel issues

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
13 replies 1K views
NivNiv Forumite
2.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Hi ,

I have a sky box in my bedroom with no card inserted etc and have been watching freeview channels for some time without issue, recently the box now says I am not recieving a signal. Luckily I have another (older) box which I hooked up to discount the box, it works but only goes upto S4C (134 I think) where previously I have had many more channels.

I have swiched the boxes on and off, disconnected / re connected etc no change.

I have a subscription for the living room and it is working as normal so no signal issues there with thellignment etc

The boxes I have for the freeviewing are pace boxes (the coppery one)

Any ideas?

Cheers

Gav
YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.

Replies

• You could try a force update on the old box. This should hopefully restore all the free to air channels.

You can add FIVE in manually if it doesn't appear but there'll be no EPG for it.
    Your BBC and ITV regions will deafult to London and Central respectively.
    Dave. :wave:
  • NivNiv Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave, I will try that force update when I get home. Two more little questions now :

What is EPG?
    How do I manually tune in channels?

I have used 'add channels' before but it comes up with a random list of channels I have never heard of and when I tried to add one I did not see it appear on my channel line up and therefore couldnt access it.

Gav
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • The EPG is your Electronic Programme Guide, i.e. what you get when you press TV Guide.

FIVE is done through 'add channels.' See here on how to add it. You will only be able to access it through the Other Channels listing though and it won't appear on the EPG.
  • Niv wrote: »
    Hi ,

I have a sky box in my bedroom with no card inserted etc and have been watching freeview channels for some time without issue, recently the box now says I am not recieving a signal. Luckily I have another (older) box which I hooked up to discount the box, it works but only goes upto S4C (134 I think) where previously I have had many more channels.

I have swiched the boxes on and off, disconnected / re connected etc no change.

I have a subscription for the living room and it is working as normal so no signal issues there with thellignment etc

The boxes I have for the freeviewing are pace boxes (the coppery one)

Any ideas?

Cheers

Gav

Its the fact you dont have a viewing card for the second box that its not working. I think you'll probably need to get a multiroom subscription in order for it to work. Just ring sky and they'll be able to set you up with multiroom and a new viewing card
  • Saphire1 wrote: »
    Its the fact you dont have a viewing card for the second box that its not working. I think you'll probably need to get a multiroom subscription in order for it to work. Just ring sky and they'll be able to set you up with multiroom and a new viewing card

Sorry the above is completely wrong

You don't need a card to receive the free to air channels (not freeview, different thing entirely)

I assume there is a separate feed from a multi output LNB which provides the signal to your box in the bedroom

The OP only wants the FreeToAir channels.

No card or subscription needed.
  • The OP only wants the FreeToAir channels.

No card or subscription needed.

Unfortunately the free channels will only work for a limited time without a viewing card. Im not very technical but its something to do with information being sent through the box. Mine stopped showing free channels afte 14months without a viewing card. Got a Freesat card hey presto working fine!!
    Unfortunately the free channels will only work for a limited time without a viewing card. Im not very technical but its something to do with information being sent through the box. Mine stopped showing free channels afte 14months without a viewing card. Got a Freesat card hey presto working fine!!

Wrong again

No card is needed at all to watch the FTA channels.
  • juliescot wrote: »
    Wrong again

No card is needed at all to watch the FTA channels.

SOME of the FTA channels are scrambled therefore you will need a viewing card to recieve ALL the free channels without a viewing card
    SOME of the FTA channels are scrambled therefore you will need a viewing card to recieve ALL the free channels without a viewing card

I think you're getting a little confused between the FreetoAir channels and the FreeToView channels.

The FreeToView channels (Sky3, FIVER & FIVEUS) require the card.

My son's never had any problems with his box without a card.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals