MSE News: Scottish Power flexes muscles in energy price war

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Scottish Power has hit back in the energy price war with a new tariff that will be the cheapest for many homes..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 29 September 2009 at 7:43PM
    Thank you Guy....£50 cheaper than Ebico and could get the £90 cashback (again)...ever so tempted.
    Edit....My usage pattern brings it down to £10 a year savings, hardly worth it to be locked in until Nov 2010.
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    edited 30 September 2009 at 8:07AM
    Nobody ever seems to notice these T&Cs on these 'deals' (or if they do they don't post about it).

You are locking yourself into this VARIABLE tariff for over 12 months but they only actually guarantee to be 3% lower than SPs standard tariff. The price of this tariff at the moment is way cheaper than 3% off SPs standard tariff (in my Yorkshire region on average usage it's currently SIXTEEN PERCENT cheaper but should they revert to their 'minimum guarantee' this tariff would increase by approx £150 per year and the only way out would be to cough up £50 to move to pastures new.) Again, this sort of T&C should be outlawed IMO.
    Under the Online Energy Saver 7 Offer, your prices are guaranteed to remain a minimum of 3% below ScottishPower’s standard monthly Direct Debit gas and electricity prices until 30th November 2010. Please note that your monthly payments may vary depending on how much energy you use. Scottish Power may apply cancellation charges inclusive of VAT of £30 for electricity and £20 for gas if you switch to Online Energy Saver 7 but then cancel your supply contract or switch to another tariff before 30th November 2010. These charges will not be applied if the supply contract is cancelled due to a home move. Online Energy Saver 7 customers need to manage their accounts online, and submit meter readings at least once every 90 days.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Nobody ever seems to notice these T&Cs on these 'deals' (or if they do they don't post about it).

You are locking yourself into this VARIABLE tariff for over 12 months but they only actually guarantee to be 3% lower than SPs standard tariff. The price of this tariff at the moment is way cheaper than 3% off SPs standard tariff (in my Yorkshire region on average usage it's currently SIXTEEN PERCENT cheaper but should they revert to their 'minimum guarantee' this tariff would increase by approx £150 per year and the only way out would be to cough up £50 to move to pastures new.) Again, this sort of T&C should be outlawed IMO.
    Hi, you are correct, I also live in yorkshire and with SP. My freshstart tariff tracks saver7 without the 12 monthtie in.As you say , my bills will be reduced by 10%+, but could revert back to standard - 3%. This will attract the "tarts" like flies to """"".It bugs me when no sooner a company everyone is slating, and I have given SP a hard time lately, offers 60-90£ cashback all logic goes out the window It,s time to stop cashbacks and give a loyalty bonus instead.
  • arc
    arc Posts: 28 Forumite
    Hi all. Apologise if this is in the wrong place, am new to this forum.

I'm trying to work out what the best deal for electricity would be for me. I live in a city centre apartment in Sheffield, have just moved here. Have electric heating and electric water heating. We have economy 7. I've no idea about electricity useage yet, and obviously don't know who the previous supplier was.. am a bit stuck.

Would this be a good deal for me? I've also never used quidco before, but see that if i click the link via their site i can get £45 cashback - and i see something about £20 of wine as well?

If anyone can spare the time, would appericate some help - here on by PM.

Thanks in advance.
    Mark
  • i probably wont be able to get this as i am on prepay which i am NOT prepared to give up even if they will allow me (only been a sp customer 6 months and never had a previous provider)
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • I will never trust Scottish Power again. After I signed up to leave them for EON (over a year ago) they phoned and offered me a fixed price deal - £85 per month DD gas and electricity. I went back, paid them £85 for the first month and then up it went, back to the original £125. This is on a fixed price deal, remember. AND my consumption had gone down due to the fitting of a new gas boiler! I had been with them for two years so they new my previous average consumption.

I've complained repeatedly and they've always responded but never addressed the issue itself. How can my DD go up when my consumption has gone down?

Just my experience, of course!

Best wishes, Neil
  • Bark01
    Bark01 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Well answered they should probably just close this thread now...

It seems like this a worrying new trend, offer a cheap variable tariff that locks you in but offer it well below the quoted % discount. Only time will tell how beneficial these are and at the moment scottish power seem to be gernerating the most negative publicity.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2009 at 9:19AM
    Bark01 wrote: »
    Well answered they should probably just close this thread now...

It seems like this a worrying new trend, offer a cheap variable tariff that locks you in but offer it well below the quoted % discount. Only time will tell how beneficial these are and at the moment scottish power seem to be gernerating the most negative publicity.
    Hi, half the "tarts2 that have been on this thread, slagging SP for all sorts of reasons, a lot genuine, will be back again , via a cashback site, thats there life, as you say, it,s time to call a halt to "cashback". The big six are only playing the numbers game and the "tarts" are only too willing to oblige;The companies themselves are to blame by offering cashback in the first place at the expense of the genuine punter.Some of the critics of SP et.al want their cake and eat it.
  • whatsup7
    whatsup7 Posts: 136 Forumite

Hi does it not say a minimum of 3% or do i misunderstand.
  • whatsup7 wrote: »
    Hi does it not say a minimum of 3% or do i misunderstand.

Yes it does.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills