New Sky EPG

Options
I noticed last week that my Sky telephone connection had accidentally discontected (the wire was pulled out). This explained why my Samsung HD box had not updated to the new EPG? So I sorted out the fault on the wiring and checked the connection -fine. Then I forced an update (switch off, wait 2 mins, switch on whilst holding the box "Back Up" button) and waited the 10 minutes or so, until this had been completed. However I still have the old EPG? I have repeated the forced update twice, but no joy?

If need be I will phone Sky, but I'd rather not (technically I have broken my T&C's by disconnecting the phone) if I can help it.

Any advice appreciated. Ta.

Comments

• M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1 - the new epg will download via the satellite and the phone line has nothing to do with updating the epg.
    2 - I have a samsung box, and do not have the new epg.
    3 - there are only so many samsungs that have had the new epg, and sky have stalled the roll out, ironing out more bugs by the looks of things

there are loads of discussions on digitalspy as to when samsungs will get the new EPG, ranging from months ago, to Feb 2010..

M
  • Pokerlad
    Options
    As has been said the software is sent Over The Air (OTA) and has only been deployed to a limited number of Samsungs for evaluation so far. Once Sky are happy there are no major problems they will deliver it to the remaining Samsungs before moving on to the Amstrads.

The reason the forced update dosnt deliver the new EPG is because they only broadcast the latest known good version on the update stream until any new update is known to be stable. This is so it's possible to roll back to the earlier version if problems arise.

New updates usually are delivered early hours of Tuesday or Thursday and the new EPG should be proceeded by a mailing/email a few days before. Also look out for the the New EPG Guide on Anytime, this is also a clue the download is ready to take place.
  • MancBrel
    Options
    Thank you for these helpful responses. My Anytime got the EPG demo months ago, which is why I suspected the loose telephone wire?

Looks like I'll have to wait then? I just want add ITVHD to the additional channels list, so that I can watch the Champions League matches in HD, thats all.

Ta very much
  • Pokerlad
    Pokerlad Posts: 407 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2009 at 9:07PM
    Options
    MancBrel wrote: »
    My Anytime got the EPG demo months ago, which is why I suspected the loose telephone wire?

Sorry I should of been clearer. Anytime is not box specific (except for HD and Normal Sky+ boxes having different content) so all boxes get the same programmes. I just meant when you see it on there it means another batch of boxes will be updated soon, not neccesserly yours but all Samsungs should be next. Unlike the Thompsons, the update hasnt been rolled out model by model number so i'm guessing when its proven to work all Samsungs will be done at once.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FYI, phone line being connected is only a term of teh contract for 12months (corect me if I am wrong), I never have my phone line connected.

Also:

In the past my box blew due to lightening through the phone line, sky refused to repace the box due to 'act of God' so I told them to stuff it if they think I am connecting to the telephone line even though I was at teh time under my 12months, they told me I must, I said no , nothing happened.

Just so you know
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • will-in-estoril
    will-in-estoril Posts: 850 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2009 at 9:07PM
    Options
    Niv wrote: »
    In the past my box blew due to lightening through the phone line, sky refused to repace the box due to 'act of God'...

Tell us more, I am intrigued. The belt and braces approach might also be to detach your satellite dish, thereby reducing the probability of another strike even further! :eek:
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    well that kinda defeats the object with having a sky subscription :-)
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • MancBrel
    Options
    Niv wrote: »
    FYI, phone line being connected is only a term of teh contract for 12months (corect me if I am wrong), I never have my phone line connected.

Yes I know this. I became a Sky customer last December, so am still bound by that condition. I then changed to their broadband in May and I suspect it was when I changed over that I dislodged the wires? When I noticed I wasn't all that bothered about it until I suspected (wrongly) that it was the cause for not getting the new EPG. I only put the wires right last week, about 3 months after noticing! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure