Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Sky warning!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
5 replies 1K views
hogweedhogweed Forumite
108 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
If you’re contemplating signing up with Sky, please be aware that their staff are using underhand practices to persuade you to sign. Please, please, please be careful – you will speak to a so-friendly representative, who will tell you anything to get you to sign – then the nightmare begins.

In my (considerable) experience, they will blatantly lie to you about availability of services in your area, provision dates etc – and, if you are stupid enough (as I was) to give them your debit card details, will take money from your account without your authority. Unlike with Direct Debit, there is NO WAY of getting this money back – your bank takes the view that a debit card is cash – once the money’s gone, it’s gone.

Recently Sky customers in various areas were advised of an offer whereby they could recommend a friend for Sky HD – both the friend and recommender would get a free HD box, with free installation. I phoned Sky, and ordered when they confirmed the offer was valid, and took my friend’s details.

Sky then made me a further offer whereby I could get £50 of M&S vouchers if I paid £49 (the normal Sky HD fee) up front, as long as I didn’t cancel within 3 months. The first 3 months’ subscription would then be free. Seemed like a good deal, so I agreed.

The nightmare began. Sky had assured me that all the services I signed up for (phone line, unlimited broadband, Sky HD) would be available when I moved in on September 19th. A few days before this, they cancelled the orders for phone and broadband from their system. Of course, they didn’t tell me – I accidentally discovered via their website.

I was then told, to my horror, that the orders should not have been put on the system as they were only available to Sky customers, and I wouldn't become a Sky customer till my Sky HD had been installed! Then the order for the phone line would be placed – it would then take 2 weeks to provide!

As if that wasn’t bad enough, the broadband order (turned out that, despite accepting my order, it wasn't available in my area anyway) would only be placed when the line had gone active – guess what, yes, a further 2 weeks.

I told Sky to stick it, and cancelled everything – BT, amazingly, did what they said they’d do, and provided phone and broadband on the agreed dates!!! However, Sky still owe me £49, which they’re refusing to pay back.

Please, please, please, don’t sign up with Sky if you value your sanity – if you DO sign up, pay NOTHING unless you have agreed in writing.

Letters to James Murdoch or Jeremy Darroch merely get redirected to semi-literate staff members who haven’t even got the courtesy or courage to give their second names. Here’s an extract from my latest letter to “Jillian”:

“Because the staff member who processed my initial order (he identified himself as “Mike from the Leeds office”) lied to me on several counts, I cancelled all services last week – within the 30-day cooling off period. The lies I was told include:

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The Sky phone line would be available for my use on the 19th. This was never possible.
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sky broadband would be available on the 19th. This was never possible.
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The offer which I had phoned to enquire about was indeed available – ie I would get a FREE HD box, with FREE installation, if my friend recommended me. This was apparently not the case.
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]However, if I chose to pay £49 up front, I would get my first 3 months free. It turns out this was a ploy to con me out of a fee for the HD box, which I had been clearly told would not be applied.

This last offer was the ONLY reason I paid the £49 up front. As you apparently record conversations between your customers and staff, please make the recording of this conversation available, and we can clear the matter up once and for all.
As (a) the £49 was taken from my account under false pretences, (b) I cancelled during the cooling-off period, I would be grateful for your urgent confirmation that it has been refunded to my account. Then you are free to come and collect your box.
In the meantime, I will discuss this matter further with the regulator. Simple act honestly and honourably, refund the money you conned me out of, and things need not go any further.
RJF”

Replies

  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do it online.

    You can read everything at your leisure - several times if you need to.
    Your can compare the various options without someone pressurising you.
    You can go away and ask OH/neighbour/cat what they understand something to mean.
    You can "print screen" and keep a copy of everything.

    BUT - even then, people sign up and and still complain they have been scammed/ripped-off/etc/etc :confused:
  • BrodiebobsBrodiebobs Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    just to add some sky workers are home worker... i know the broadband sales are definately.

    So may lead to some of the inaccuracies... not that im excusing it!!!
  • M4RKMM4RKM Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Ok... reasons why Sky might take longer than BT is that sky unbundle things from the BT equipment at the exchange, and the length of time to activate things is not wholly down to sky, but down to BT OpenReach who are a division of BT.

    To activate a phone line on bt, that has been on bt before is simple, it is just a click of a button/switch. To activate a line onto sky that has been on BT before, especially for the broadband, requires someone to physically go down to the exchange, locate your phone line, wire in a cable from that phone line to go to the sky equipment at the exchange.

    If the phone line isn't live, this can't be done on sky all at the same time, because BT OpenReach probably won't allow it, however, because BT use all their own kit, and are an incumbunt supplier, it is much easier, and different technologies used.

    Now, when it comes to offers, why you had one offer, and then changed your mind because the offer was slightly better, could be a reason why it all got a bit screwey.

    I've had to complain at sky before, and find the people who get the e-mails to Jeremy Darroch's email account very good at solving problems, and also perfectly literate. To insult someone that you don't know, IMO is crossing a fine line of complaining and insulting.

    Anyway, onto some disecting and hopefully some useful advice.

    I disagree with your point 4. It wasn't a ploy to con you out of £49, it was an alternative offer so you could get Sky + HD for £49, with 3 months free package, and some M&S vouchers. However, did you think you'd get it for free, and not pay anything, because that is what you initially agreed. Maybe the advisor wasn't clear, but I think you understood fully that you would pay £49 because you've told us this
    Sky then made me a further offer whereby I could get £50 of M&S vouchers if I paid £49 (the normal Sky HD fee) up front, as long as I didn’t cancel within 3 months. The first 3 months’ subscription would then be free. Seemed like a good deal, so I agreed.

    So, you can't say
    4.However, if I chose to pay £49 up front, I would get my first 3 months free. It turns out this was a ploy to con me out of a fee for the HD box, which I had been clearly told would not be applied.
    because you've already said that you thought paying £49 would be a good deal.

    It's a kinda contradictory story, but also, slating a company that doesn't need such a harsh slating, just because you paid money, and cancelled, and you're having an issue getting a refund.

    It is inexcusable that they can't get everything when they said they would, so, your complaint stands on that, and yes they should refund you, but you need to take your emotions out of your complaint, and state facts only.

    It isn't a ploy, or a con, it was an offer which you accepted. Because sky couldn't stick to their original promise of connecting everything at the same date, which is due to a customer advisor lack of product knowledge, you have cancelled, which you are well within your rights to do.

    To say someone has conned you is a step too far, and also nothing to do with what you want. Your complaint is that you have paid £49, cancelled because sky couldn't provide what they said they would, and you were unprepared to wait, and you need your £49 refunding.

    M
  • hogweedhogweed Forumite
    108 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    markymoo wrote: »
    Ok... reasons why Sky might take longer than BT is that sky unbundle things from the BT equipment at the exchange, and the length of time to activate things is not wholly down to sky, but down to BT OpenReach who are a division of BT.


    True but completely irrelevant. My point was that they agreed it would be possible, when their own policies made it completely impossible, so it never was. That’s lying.
    markymoo wrote: »
    Now, when it comes to offers, why you had one offer, and then changed your mind because the offer was slightly better, could be a reason why it all got a bit screwey.


    I didn’t change my mind. The guy offered me an extra on top of the offer.
    markymoo wrote: »
    I've had to complain at sky before, and find the people who get the e-mails to Jeremy Darroch's email account very good at solving problems, and also perfectly literate. To insult someone that you don't know, IMO is crossing a fine line of complaining and insulting.
    That’s your experience. It’s not mine, and I am reporting mine – not your or anybody else’s. Stating that somebody is illiterate, when that is the case, is not insulting them – it’s a simple statement of fact.
    markymoo wrote: »
    I disagree with your point 4. It wasn't a ploy to con you out of £49, it was an alternative offer so you could get Sky + HD for £49, with 3 months free package

    Yes, but I didn’t get the 3 months’ free. Sorry I didn't make that clear. They took the £49 AND are debiting my account for the full monthly amount.
    markymoo wrote: »
    slating a company that doesn't need such a harsh slating, just because you paid money, and cancelled, and you're having an issue getting a refund.

    I’m slating them mainly because they lied to me on several counts. You feel that’s acceptable, do you? And I accept I didn't make it clear that sky have charged me the £49 AND tried to take the monthly subscription which they said would be waived for 3 months – sorry to anyone reading this, hope that’s clear now.
  • M4RKMM4RKM Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Well, I went off what you said, so they did screw up on the offer.. just complain, without emotions, and what you consider a statement of fact, can easily be interpreted as insulting. It is their fault, you must make them aware of that, and explain everything in the utmost detail.
This discussion has been closed.