MSE News: Car scrappage scheme to be extended

Options
13»

Comments

• jayemcee49
    Options
    At the moment my Volvo 240 Estate, K reg has 150,000 miles on the clock and is also still falling to bits, but only little bits, a bit of rust but such a useful car, I can get so much DIY into it and for what I could afford now with the scrappage scheme woudn't even remotely be useful to me now. I think the government should rethink the scrappage scheme into something that could continue for the future. Unfortunately depreciation will always be there, but I was horrified to hear that the car dealers part is actually only around £500, with £500 for the scrap man and £1000 from the government, so the dealers aren't really losing too much! I begrudge chopping in my unique, comfy volvo for something I can't really afford to pay off for the next 3 years.
  • lardconcepts
    Options
    I'd like to know the best way to "work" the following:
    2 people, 2 eligible cars (1 volvo, 1 Golf), only need one now, never bought a new car before.
    Seat Ibiza Ecomotive = £12,355 OTR quoted price as standard (we want this one not just for the 94mpg, but also the zero road tax)
    So, should be £10,355 - I'm going to read some "how to haggle" guides, but the only dealer we're spoken to so far says there's no wiggle room on scrappage.
    But looking above, that doesn't seem strictly true. So, any tips to max our savings? Get a good px price first THEN mention scrappage and add it?
    Tips appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport