🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Car scrappage scheme to be extended

Options

Comments

• emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    I think the government are being short sighted by only helping to sell new cars, as you say Goldspanners, it's hurting the local small garages where the big franchises are laughing all the way to the bank. Using our scheme they would help a lot more industries and be able to recycle all the cheap plastics to make the dashboards for Hyundai's and Kia's.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • MarkyMarkD
    Options
    Good points. The supposed benefits of the economy are illusory. A few more jobs for car salesmen, and a little bit more work for those who transport new cars around and do PDIs.

But a lot less work in repairing older cars which are perfectly safe and roadworthy.

Our V-reg car has done just under 60,000 miles and is nowhere near worn out. My father was in it the other day and couldn't believe it was 10 years old. We drove a few thousands miles on holiday (to and from South of France) without any mishap of any significance.
  • emmell
    Options
    I've seen first hand some of the cars taken in for scrappage at a large breakers yard nearby.
    I've also seen the Nissan almera a friend is trading in for a Suzuki Alto, It is absolutely pristine
    (I have never liked almera's) but it does seem such a shame. The dismantlers must be making a fortune!
    ML.
  • goldspanners
    Options
    emmell wrote: »
    (I have never liked almera's) but it does seem such a shame. The dismantlers must be making a fortune!

maybe, or maybe not as everyone who had an old banger has traded in for a new car so they dont need the parts!
    i dont even think the price of scrap is too good at the moment.
    ...work permit granted!
  • emmell
    Options
    maybe, or maybe not as everyone who had an old banger has traded in for a new car so they dont need the parts!
    i dont even think the price of scrap is too good at the moment.

The bloke at the breakers told me a lot are being exported to eastern europe, vw's, audis, bm's, mercs. Don't know if they are taking full cars or cherry picking the best bits, but he told me they were very busy.
    ML
  • phil76jetski
    Options
    Has anybody had any problems with the extended scrappage scheme?? I went to buy a new vw today and trade my v registerd focus registerd in october 1999 and they could not accept it yet. The vw dealer is telling me that when they try to register the car it wont accept it yet under the extended scheme. They have looked into it and are telling me there are no manufactures in the uk that can actually register a car this year of car yet !!! Anybody any idea are they spinning me a yarn or is this fact please help mot running out quickly!
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Have a look at the scrappage website - google for it.

The first round seemed to confuse all the dealers, so I wouldnt be surprised if this isnt repeated
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    Have a look at the scrappage website - google for it.

The first round seemed to confuse all the dealers, so I wouldnt be surprised if this isnt repeated

No need, there is a link at post number 8.. ;)
  • emmabison
    Options
    I am about to buy a Hyundai i10 and scrap my V reg car.

My current car is slowly falling to pieces and will need about £5-600 worth or work to get it through the MOT and will continue to need more money spent on it so I would rather use this towards a new car.

Several dealers now take Vreg cars - Nissan, Kia, Hyundai that I know of.
  • skiking
    skiking Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    emmabison wrote: »
    I am about to buy a Hyundai i10 and scrap my V reg car.

My current car is slowly falling to pieces and will need about £5-600 worth or work to get it through the MOT and will continue to need more money spent on it so I would rather use this towards a new car.

Several dealers now take Vreg cars - Nissan, Kia, Hyundai that I know of.
    I think Hyundai have stopped taking scrappage orders on i10/i20 and most of i30 range. They basically can't turn around the orders in the 4 months required of the scrappage deal
    Snootchie Bootchies!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family