New Post Advanced Search

free view or freesat

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
7 replies 936 views
colin13colin13 Forumite
1K posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
hi guys my freeview has packed in,,wondering what is best free digital system freeview or freesat,? any advice is good:)

Replies

  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right I have both systems. Freeview to me gives slightly better picture accept HD on freesat. The picture quality will vary depending on the channel and compression and distance between your aerial and the transmitter. But assuming your reasonable close to transmitter/mast then I say go freeview.

    Not sure if you are aware but freeview is going HD late or early next year but you will need a new box which aren't out yet
  • InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K posts
    colin13 wrote: »
    hi guys my freeview has packed in,,wondering what is best free digital system freeview or freesat,? any advice is good:)

    I also have both, I prefer Freeview, far better channel line up.
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're buying something NOW and want HD then your only subscription free option is FreesatHD. Freesat will cost you more if you need to get a dish etc installed, but if you already have a sky dish installed it'll just plug straight in. Choose based on technology and channel lineup. Overall, right now, I prefer Freesat.
  • Inactive wrote: »
    I also have both, I prefer Freeview, far better channel line up.

    Guess it's horses for courses, I have both and I find a prefer freesat...

    Miss dave sometimes, but that's about it - and really enjoy the HD content.

    Just out of interest, which channels do you think make freeview better?

    Also, I've humaxes for both and I have to say the foxsat is the better bit of kit.
  • InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Guess it's horses for courses, I have both and I find a prefer freesat...

    Miss dave sometimes, but that's about it - and really enjoy the HD content.

    Just out of interest, which channels do you think make freeview better?

    Also, I've humaxes for both and I have to say the foxsat is the better bit of kit.

    Both Dave Channels and Yesterday, to be honest I don't notice any difference from Freeview SD picture quality to Freesat HD. The HD stuff is hardly worth watching IMO.

    I also have both Humax Receivers.. brilliant kit.:T
  • Inactive wrote: »
    Both Dave Channels and Yesterday, to be honest I don't notice any difference from Freeview SD picture quality to Freesat HD.

    Really? That's interesting - the difference on my set is really pronounced - guess it depends on a lot...the quality of the set, the size etc...

    I don't watch *too much* in HD (there ain't a lot, is there) - but the footy certainly looks a lot better - and Strictly is looking really pretty...catch the occasional movie and documentary (the South Pacific ones looked stunning...)
  • InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Really? That's interesting - the difference on my set is really pronounced - guess it depends on a lot...the quality of the set, the size etc...

    It does, I have a 42" Plasma main TV, there is hardly any picture quality difference on that, however I have an LCD in my bedroom, and I can see a clear difference on that.

    I honestly think that it is how bad some LCD's are at producing good quality SD pictures.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support