MSE News: British Airways to charge for seat selection

edited 25 September 2009 at 12:24PM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
44 replies 6.1K views
Former_MSE_NatashaFormer_MSE_Natasha Former MSE
672 Posts
edited 25 September 2009 at 12:24PM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"British Airways (BA) is to start charging most passengers to ensure they can sit with friends or family from next month. You'll soon pay up to £60 per leg to book a ..."

OfficialStamp.gif
PS. This thread discussion had already started before the news story was published. We’ve inserted this post so all discussions are in one place. Thanks to Chester85 for the original post.

Replies

• BA is to allow all passengers to select their seats at the time of booking, but there’s a catch: the carrier will be charging for the privilege, starting from £10 per sector for Euro Traveller passengers, rising to £60 for Club World customers.From October 7 customers will have the option to select their seats when they book tickets, for the following charges:
    • £10 per person per sector in Euro Traveller and on domestic routes
    • £20 per person per sector in Club Europe, World Traveller and World Traveller Plus
    • £60 per person per sector in Club World

apparantly this move is key 'to surviving the economic downturn.'

So £20 in EuroTraveller makes them more expensive than the average rip off charter and the likes of Jet2 and FlyBe

Good old flag carriers. Sooner Heathrow Airlines gets its comeuppance the better
  • How long before the BA apologists come along and try and defend this?

Are they charging passengers with status?
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • How long before the BA apologists come along and try and defend this?

No

Customers in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus will also have the option to pay £50 to secure exit row seats, from ten days pior to departure.
    The fees will not apply to Premier and Gold Executive Club members who are already able to choose their seats for free in all cabins (including exit row seats) at the time of booking. Silver card holders, customers with fully flexible tickets and customers on corporate deals can pre-assign their seats for free and will have the option to buy exit row seats in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus

Willie Walsh is worse than O'Leary. At least O'Leary is upfront and makes a profit
  • dmg24dmg24
    33.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst I can see the reasoning behind charging people for advance seat selection in economy, I find it quite bizarre that you can pay for a premium product and then be expected to pay an additional £60 to choose your seat!

Very very odd.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Forumite
    151 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Up to now, the only way you could select a seat in advance was to be a Silver or Gold card holder, travelling on a full fare ticket, travelling with an infant, have a disibility which required specific seating or be travelling in First.

Everybody will, as they are able to now be able to check in online and secure their favourite seats at T-24. This enhancement however means that people who MUST have that specific seat, or would like an exit seat can now do so for a fee.

This is an enhancement to the current policy and people who wish to check in online to get their seats can do so as they have done since the current seating policy came in to place in 2006.
  • DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How long before the BA apologists come along and try and defend this?

More info: http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/exclusive-ba-to-charge-for-seat-selection

Most "status" passengers (myself included) won't be paying for their own fares so they probably wouldn't compalin that much. It's just something else to expense.
  • dmg24dmg24
    33.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    More info: http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/exclusive-ba-to-charge-for-seat-selection

Most "status" passengers (myself included) won't be paying for their own fares so they probably wouldn't compalin that much. It's just something else to expense.

Some of us pay our own expenses!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Doshwaster wrote: »

My company pays my expenses and has a rather large contract with BA for which they've been looking for an excuse to depart from for months now. Most staff go with AF-KLM (which is saying something) or Eastern (superb little airline with double the BA 'service') or even FlyBe

This latest change will swing it style to ad-hoc bookings away from BA and I couldn't be happier. I'm tired of BA's overtrumped service
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem here? This is a new facility that BA are offering, albeit for a charge.

It is not as if it was something that was free yesterday but will be charged for from now on. You can either pay to choose your seat, or can choose not to pay, but be in no worse a situation than you ever would have been.

BA are not a flag carrier. Just another commercial airline.
  • bagand96 wrote: »

BA are not a flag carrier. Just another commercial airline.

As much as they would love at times to deny it, they are the flag carrier (no mattter what the Virgin PR dept would have you believe)

Introducing charges on seats is just another move BA have made to increase money at the expense of service including use of older aircraft on certain routes, downgraded catering, abandoned catering on some flights

Ok, this is a Money Saving site but BA are getting worse (just take a look at airliner or pprune forums for that)

Michael O'Leary is not the problem in aviation

Willie Walsh is the most incompetent dangerous man in European aviation and he'll drive this airline into the ground
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides