my own domain

Options
Hi I'm thinking of getting my own domain name with the view to hosting my own family website at a later date. I would also like to have a couple of email addresses attached to it. I'm wondering if anybody can recommend where I can get a good, cheap deal from?

Comments

• aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    www.ukreg.com

domain around £2.95 + vat per year

You can have e-mails on your domain re-directed for free to your current ISP,

eg [EMAIL="fred@yourdomain.com"]fred@yourdomain.com[/EMAIL] directed to [EMAIL="xyz@yourcurrentisp.co.uk"]xyz@yourcurrentisp.co.uk[/EMAIL]

They also do a lowish cost hosting as well when you want, currently 4.99 + vat per month, but have an offer of first 3 months free. You do not need to have hosting with them, you can use someone else and have your domain pointed at whoever, again for free.
  • smcaul
    smcaul Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Also have a look at https://www.domainmonster.com I have quite a few domians with them and have never had any issues - again you can forward email addresses on, or buy pop3 email boxes - I host my own email server so dont use that service. You also have full DNS control so an point the records to wherever you want to host your site.
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.123reg.co.uk

Nice and easy. Even if you don't use them for hosting or site building you have access to email direction at no extra charge (ie divert you@yourdomain.co.uk to Hotmail etc).
  • JohalaReewi
    Options
    1 and 1 - http://www.1and1.co.uk

Also you can get cashback via topcashback or quidco.
  • Tribulation
    Options
    As others have said, there's various companies out there that offer them dirt cheap.

For example, 1and1 (who I am with) currently offer you a .co.uk domain for £2.99 per year. I have a mail hosting package with them which (for the next 6 days) is 1/2 price for 6 months meaning that for a whole year, you will pay something like

£5.88 for the mail hosting, this includes 5 separate mailboxes for family members to use and 150 mailbox aliases and numerous other goodies.

So in total will cost you £5.88 + £2.99x2 (have to pay for 2 years domainname with everyone I think) making a total cost of £11.86 for the first year. Then you can access your mail from anywhere and any ISP.

WORD OF WARNING, Some ISP's offer a free domainname (not talking about hosting companies such as 1and1). Be very wary. I took out what I believed to be a free domain with my ISP, I was led to believe it was registered on my behalf and I owned it. When I left that ISP, it turned out they owned it, not me and they wanted to charge me a whopping £75 to transfer it over to me when in reality it's 30 secs work for them and they don't get charged a penny by anyone else to transfer it, hence it was pure profit.
    Martin Lewis is always giving us advice on how to force companies to do things.

How about giving us advice on how to remove ourselves from any part of
    MoneySupermarket.com

I hereby withdraw any permission Martin might have implied he gave MoneySupermarket.com to use any of my data. Further more, I do not wish ANY data about me, or any of my posts etc to be held on any computer system held by MoneySupermarket.com or any business it has any commercial interests in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure