We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Average student debt?

Options

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Options
    Wow i am shocked when i hear about people leaving uni with £20k worth of debt! How do you manage to run up that much?

Im in my 4th year of having my student loan and tuition fees paid for me, and my debt is only £5000ish. I have one more year to go, bringing me up to about £7000ish debt in total over 5 years of studying.

You're in Scotland and you live at home.
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    bumpoowee wrote: »
    well exactly, if you get it paid for you then your debt will be substantially lower. If you paid the £3k a year yourself you would owe an extra £12k.

what is the £3k a year for?
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    You're in Scotland and you live at home.
    does that make a difference? I still pay rent
  • bumpoowee
    Options
    what is the £3k a year for?

Tuition fees. You said you don't pay them - most people do.
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    Tuition fees. You said you don't pay them - most people do.

I do have tuition fees. But the student loan company pay them, and it gets added to my total debt with the student loan company
  • bumpoowee
    Options
    I do have tuition fees. But the student loan company pay them, and it gets added to my total debt with the student loan company

Ok - how much are your tuition fees? As I understand it in England they are generally £3k a year - somebody else mentioned you are in Scotland so you may have got lucky in this respect.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    does that make a difference? I still pay rent

I'm sure you've said that you pay £150 per month to your mother; many students would be paying 3 times that just for rent.

Scottish students don't pay tuition fees which is why your debts are so low.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok - how much are your tuition fees? As I understand it in England they are generally £3k a year - somebody else mentioned you are in Scotland so you may have got lucky in this respect.

If you are English up in Scotland they are around £1-2k. If you are Scottish its all free.
  • bumpoowee
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    If you are English up in Scotland they are around £1-2k. If you are Scottish its all free.

Another mystery solved.
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options

the past 3 years in college my course fees were £1250 a year.
    This year for uni its £1650
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport