We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help! Computer running so slow, have done as much as possible, any more advice?

2»

Comments

  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Putting in more RAM made a massive difference - it's been like a new machine. It's 5 years old and is as fast as my brand new VAIO laptop for most tasks.

    My last laptop was like a snail from day one - it was a DELL Inspiron with Celeron processor. Just dreadful - indescribably poor performance.
  • Bacardi_queen
    Bacardi_queen Posts: 116 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    edited 6 October 2009 at 9:28PM
    Thanks guys, for all the advice. I did as suggested and bought another 512mb RAM. I thought I'd installed it properly, and the computer seems to be running faster although I'm not sure if that's wishful thinkin!

    When I look at the system information, it says I only have 512mb. It also says 512mb when I enter the bios during start-up. Could it be that the computer isn't recognising it? Or do you think I've installed it wrong?

    EDIT: I double checked the installation, and card hadn't been pushed down far enough! I've checked again after correcting and it now says I have 1GB RAM, so success! Although I don't think it's made that much difference yet....maybe I should have bought a larger RAM!!! Oh well, it'll do for now! Thanks again everyone!!
  • asininity
    asininity Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Possibly installed wrong, did you make sure it was compatible.
  • asininity wrote: »
    Possibly installed wrong, did you make sure it was compatible.

    I had installed it wrong, but I think it's working okay now. It does actually seem much faster, think I was expecting miracles though! But it's much better than before :T
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 12,011 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Well done on installing the extra RAM. By the time you've followed all the other advice posted above, re:cleanup (NOT full reinstall), you should end up running sweet again :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

    I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Although I don't think it's made that much difference yet....maybe I should have bought a larger RAM!!! Oh well, it'll do for now! Thanks again everyone!!
    Have you also followed all steps in Post 3?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.