How would anyone know ....?

Options
I've posted this as a curiosity rather than from genuine concern that I might get taken away in handcuffs.

I stay away for a few nights a month on business, in a room that has an outside aerial connection for tv. I take my laptop with me and use my tv watching USB gizmo (non-techie term!) plugged into the aerial point.

Some of my fellow colleagues have tut-tutted that I should have a separate tv licence for that sort of thing. Having contacted the tv licencing people (just to be sure!), they tell me I don't need one if my laptop is only running on it's own internal batteries. I'm only in trouble if I plug it in to an external power source. My question is, how on earth would anyone know?

I also realise that I should also have a separate licence if my husband is at home watching our regular tv at the same time I'm watching on the laptop - but again, how would they know? And how would I know? Should I phone him every time I switch on?!

I'm not sure these rules have been very well thought through!

Comments

456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They would know if they show up at one of these properties and want to be let in - however they have no right of access so you don't have to let them in and therefore they won't know! convoluted!!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Obviously MSE forums cannot condone illegality, but as you rightly ask, how would any know? And answer is, they would not, unless you go round telling everyone
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • alibongo42
    Options
    I have nothing to tell. I only ever watch after telephoning my husband to ensure he has the home tv switched off, and then only using my laptop's internal battery :wink:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure