IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: British Parking Association agrees to face its critics

Options

Comments

• rowds_bib
    Options
    I've been reading this and other forums with great interest this morning as my boyfriend got a parking ticket from New Generation Parking last night and whom are members of the BPA.
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    Options
    rowds_bib wrote: »
    I've been reading this and other forums with great interest this morning as my boyfriend got a parking ticket from New Generation Parking last night and whom are members of the BPA.

Having read these threads hopefully you now know that you should ignore everything they send you.It may become scary towards the end, but in the end they will give up and move on.
  • Methusela
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    BPA said, I think, that it doesn't deal with complaints about its members, even though as I understand it, the BPA's own COP as an ATA states that it does...correct me if I am wrong...

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]BPA seem totally confused about their role in investigating complaints.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]T[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]he publicity leaflet that they send to you, when you write to complain about one of their members, says:-[/FONT]

“[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Any action taken by the BPA against a member is based on facts relating to our code of practice. If there is a case to answer, then a full investigation and appropriate action will be taken which may – in extreme cases result in suspension or termination of BPA membership”.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Which sounds very grand but is totally untrue. Because if you have asked them to investigate bad practice by a member, their reply letter (that comes with the publicity leaflet) will say something quite different:-[/FONT]

“[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Because of the sheer number of enforcements issued nationally, BPA is unable to and will not get involved with complaints about individual parking enforcement decisions”[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In other words, they have taken a decision not to get involved in complaints about individual parking tickets (which might be understandable). But then they use this decision as an excuse not to investigate ANY complaint about their members, no matter how serious (which is definitely NOT understandable).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have asked BPA in my earlier postings to explain this double dealing. As you know they haven't yet replied but I am still hopeful that they eventually will.[/FONT]
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Options
    What about complaints about their member's actions as opposed to their decisions.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 135,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2009 at 10:05AM
    Options
    Methusela wrote: »

“[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Because of the sheer number of enforcements issued nationally, BPA is unable to and will not get involved with complaints about individual parking enforcement decisions”[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In other words, they have taken a decision not to get involved in complaints about individual parking tickets (which might be understandable). But then they use this decision as an excuse not to investigate ANY complaint about their members, no matter how serious (which is definitely NOT understandable).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have asked BPA in my earlier postings to explain this double dealing. As you know they haven't yet replied but I am still hopeful that they eventually will.[/FONT]

I do hope someone with a bit of influence at the DVLA are now perusing this thread and will wake up and smell the coffee re the BPA's self-admitted inaction re complaints. And about the other highly relevant points raised on this thread which have gone unanswered.

A few more emails to the DVLA press office (and/or to their CEO Noel Shanahan) from anyone on here might help convince the DVLA to stop by here and have a look.

If the DVLA kick the BPA out of its accreditation scheme, then AFAIK in a few months time no private parking companies would be able to get any RK details from the DVLA. :p:D:p:D

I reckon the BPA letters should really read:

“[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Because of the sheer number of [STRIKE]enforcements[/STRIKE] COMPLAINTS issued nationally, BPA is unable to and will not get involved with complaints about individual parking enforcement decisions”[/FONT]

BPA, the ball is in your court to reply to the questions raised in the previous pages since you disappeared. I am not surprised you were 'out of the office'. Feeling sick...?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Options
    I believe that the lack of response from the BPA to the matters of fact raised in this thread is due to the fact that they have no response, and there is no valid response, which upholds their position .

In other words their failure to rebut is in fact acceptance and the facts are correct.

Their position is untenable.
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    Is it just me or is anyone else getting a bit peeved at the amount of deleting that's going on at the mo by the mods??

I posted wrt the BPA yesterday [since they promised a response 9 days ago and have said zip since].

My post was obviously taking the mick out of them and extremely irreverent...but it was obvious to all and sundry that thats what it was.......a barbed poke at them. IIRC the said post was thanked.

Today it's been deleted.

So come on then, who was so mortally offended that they ran blubbing to mummy about the big bad boy who made a nasty sarcastic post and made them cry.
  • Methusela
    Methusela Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2009 at 1:05AM
    Options
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dear BPA representative,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I appreciate that you have been ill and would have a lot of catching up to do on your return. But in your post of 7 October you said that you hoped to post replies “within the next few days”. That was 10 days ago and I hope that you haven't forgotten your promise.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I have a lot of time to spare, so I have tried to help speed up your response by going back over all of the posts in this thread. Below I have listed all those that are genuine requests for you to provide information, or that contain what I believe are carefully considered questions to which you really should provide answers.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]By grouping the important ones together, I hope to save you the time of reading through the considerable number of posts which are not really relevant or those that are positively objectionable.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Post Number............Author...............Number of points to be answered, [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 4.............................Coblcris...........................two[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 5.............................oldone.............................one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 10...........................Alx*27............................four[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 24...........................Coblcris..........................three[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 28...........................jkdd77............................one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 29...........................trisontana.........................one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 34...........................Me..................................one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 35...........................Coupon-mad...................one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 38...........................ripped off driver...............one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 57...........................Me..................................one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 59...........................backfoot..........................one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 61...........................Me..................................one[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 78.......................... Me..................................three[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif] 85...........................Me..................................one[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Total number of points to be answered:- twentytwo[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I am sure the other members who have been posting in this thread will correct me if they think I have missed something of importance out. But the fact remains there are a lot of unanswered questions piling up.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It is not surprising that some of the posts have been less than complimentary about BPA and its members – I admit some of my own contain a fair degree of sarcasm. But people's feelings can run quite high when they feel they have been ripped off and no-one in authority is prepared to listen.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When you strip away the adverse comments, the sarcasm and the real anger that is evident in many of the posts, the basic, underlying questions are very important and deserve careful answers, not snappy responses that simply attempt to cover the truth in a smoke screen.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I really do look forward to reading your truthful, factual replies.[/FONT]
  • ripped_off_driver
    Options
    This thread has to have one of the most inaccurate titles ever. If this is BPA facing their critics I dread to know what total disengagement would look like.

Maybe if we paid them a sky high fee we would get their attention?
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    This thread has to have one of the most inaccurate titles ever.

Genius posting!!! rotfpml
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport