Problems with Halfords bike

Options
Hi all need some advice/clarification so I can go to the store on Saturday to return my faulty bike.

Bit of background I bought the bike 30/08/09 today is the 17th September.
I had the bike 2 trips 4 miles in total and got flat tyre. Ok no harm no foul repaired the tyre after a week, pump i bought from halfords didnt work.( thats another story lol).

Ok 4 miles so far back and forward to work. Since i got the bike I cannot use well basically any of the gears. I have it set on 2 as this is the only one that it doesnt slip that often.. I cannot stand up on the bike to pedal which if im going uphill etc is required as everytime you use either higher or lower gear the bike is jumping and causing injury( knees knocking aginst the frame/hitting the ground). You can hear it constantly trying to jump to another gear. I thought ok i can just use it on gear 2 as its ok enough but why should I its clearly faulty or their so called customer service when build up the bike have done a half assed job.

Today to top it up nearly got thrown of the bike. the handlebars complety twisted backwards whilst i was crossing the road at work the sudden shock/movement nearly threw me off. the handbars now can freely move left to right and are loose/dangerous.

Reason for the post is im looking for people who have had same issue with bikes/halfords and my rights. From what i can see the bike is clearly not fit for purpose. its a 21 gear bike which they dont work and thebike is risky to use. From what i have read online I am entitled to take the item back to halfords for reimbursment in full being I have notified them within ( a reasonable amount of time) ie 2.5 weeks and as soon as faults/danger has happened.

Just looking for clarification if i am right and can ask them for full refund of amount( they can deduct amount less the amount of time i have had use of the bike aparently). I just see lots of stuff online about halfords and their poor customer service and would rather go in their friendly but knowing all my rights cause to be honest I have no intention of buying or replacing the bike from their store I would rather use a smaller independant retailer who seem to have a lot better reputation.

Any takers

thanks in advance

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the screws on the stem will just need tightened
    the gears will need adjusted to take up cable stretch
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The gear problem cvould be any number of things. You say you cannot change gear, do you mean it won't go into one or two gears, or that it is stuck in one particular gear?

The handlebars are just slack, they need to be tightened up. They shouldn't come loose like that, so it sounds as though they were not tightened sufficiently when the bike was assembled.

Did you assemble this bike, or did Halfords do it for you? Either way, it sounds like it has not been done properly.

Take it back to the shop. Most bike shops (and I think this include Halfords) recommend you bring any new bike back after a few weeks so they can adjust anything that needs sorted. Most places do this for free as it is quite normal for a new bike to need a few adjustments after being run in.

The puncture is just bad luck, you must have run over something sharp. There is nothing any shop or bike ,manufacturer can do about that.

I doubt you have the right to claim a full refund. It is impossible to tell for certain without seeing the bike, but it does not sound from what you have written as though the bike has any faults that cannot be easily corrected.
  • gnaril
    gnaril Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks for the replies.
    Bike was built by their store
    issue really is i have no faith in their product i appreciate that things may need adjusting but within what 8-10 miles of using the bike sorry but i dont belive this should be the case. Granted i assume the handlebars could be sorted however the gears afer using it just wont stay in each gear....

Was just going by what i read online i could reject the goods as they are clearly in my opinion for fit for purpose being i have had the bike 2 weeks and its not safe nor working as it should. I am not sure then if my interpretation of sog act is misguided.
  • gnaril
    Options
    sorry if i can explain the gears a bit clearer as i dont think i have came across too good.

The only gear that does not slip ie is trying to change or jump to another gear is Sometimes gear 2. So basically whenever i use the bike it is constantly trying and sounding like its trying to jump to a different gear.

My thinking behind it is the teeth on the back wheel or not sufficient to keep the chain on the chosen gear but hey i aint no expert.

here is the extract from consumer direct i thought this would be applicable i would be entitled to request refund replacment or repair my choice.

When can I get a refund? When will I be entitled to only a repair or replacement?

If you are returning goods that are not of satisfactory quality or not as described and you return them within a reasonable period of time you may be entitled to ask for a full refund. If you have had some use from the goods or have had them for a while before you take them back you could ask for a repair or a replacement item. You, as the consumer, have the option of which solution you would like, however you must not require the trader to repair or replace the goods if this would be too costly, as compared to another remedy.
    If a repair or replacement is not possible for the trader to provide, then you may be entitled to a reduction in the price of the goods to reflect the use up to that point or a refund. These remedies exist alongside the remedies available to you under the general law to terminate the contract for breach of condition and obtain a full refund.
    Any remedy that is carried out by the trader must be carried to be within a reasonable time for the consumer and without causing significant inconvenience.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The gears are maintained in correct position by the cable tension. The cable can be stretched very easily. You will probably be able to correct it by twisting the little tube nut on the rear mechanism as shown in the little book you would have been given. The handlebars are a different matter tho.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gnaril wrote: »
    The only gear that does not slip ie is trying to change or jump to another gear is Sometimes gear 2. So basically whenever i use the bike it is constantly trying and sounding like its trying to jump to a different gear.

This just means that the rear derailleur is not adjusted to the correct position. This is what positions the chain so it jumps to the correct gear. It's position can be adjusted by the various screws on the derailleur and the gear mechanism.

As for why it is out of position, and hence not sitting exactly on each gear - it could be caused by any number of things. It could have been bashed, it might not have been setup correctly, or most likely of all the cable has stretched. Gear and brake cables do stretch, particularly on new bikes. This is why it is normal to take them back to the shop for adjusting after the first 100 miles or so or alternatively do it yourself.

I don't think you can claim it is not fit for purpose if all it needs is adjusting as this is normal when buying a bike. The problem with the handlebars is the fault of whoever assembled the bike, and if you kick up a fuss, you may get something by way of compensation, but I doubt they will offer you a full refund.

But you never know - if you don't ask you don't get.
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    Options
    bap98189 wrote: »
    Take it back to the shop. Most bike shops (and I think this include Halfords) recommend you bring any new bike back after a few weeks so they can adjust anything that needs sorted. Most places do this for free as it is quite normal for a new bike to need a few adjustments after being run in.
    Halfords do a free six week check :)
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • geri1965_2
    Options
    My OH got a bike from Halfords - same thing happened with the handlebars, they hadn't tightened them up enough. It's a simple enough thing to do, so I can't understand why it is beyond them. It could cause an accident.
  • 4743hudsonj
    Options
    op its what you get from buying cheap crap

and also buying from halfords

in my experience (yes as selling and setting up bikes) you shouldnt have the right to complain about slipping gears unless you pay over £150 for your bike, its a reality of the cheap rubbish that comes out of Taiwan nowadays.

however, that said the severity of the slipping gears and other issues (are the breaks catching or not making contact at the same time?) it sounds almost as if the bike has been built for display but not tuned for sale.

let me explain, my work, we build the bike for display, put it together etc, but we are not legally allowed to sell it like this, we wouldn't feel right as it can indeed be deadly on the road. instead when somebody buys the bike we spend 20 mins or so checking every bolt is the correct tightness and everything is as it should eg the brakes are good and the gears slip the minimum amount ( like i said this is impossible to remove on cheap bikes, the best we can do is 2/3 rds not slipping) if it leaves in any other condition than this then we are breaking the law.

my advice, find a store(not halfords) that sells and repairs bikes. maybe puncture an inner tube and ask them to replace as this should be under a tenner whereas asking for a check could be £20, and by law all shops have to list all unsafe defects when carrying out any repairs and get you to sign it, ask for a copy and take this into halfords and you could be armed to the teeth with defects that the bike left the store with which means they broke the law:)

hope i have helped
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • gnaril
    Options
    thanks hudsonj good info.

Yei bought the bike wasnt most epensive granted £120 Appolo mountainbike. i understand you get what you pay for the bike is just to get me healthy and travel to and from work. plus just moved flat so wasnt looking at this time to pay loads for a really good one if you follow.

you mentioned the bike being builkd from display,it may well have done the guy did take it off the rack when i ordered/paid for it and put it to the side so this might answer that point. Not sure how halfords would do this.

Reading the rest of the post you have helped loads mate appreciate it. Well im going in tomorrow i got the details from consumer direct looking to return bike as not of satisfactory quality which clearly it aint and its danger and looking for a full refund. If it comes to be I have to take the repair and the same issues are aparent consumer direct advise at this point I can reject said goods. I just like to be clear in my mind before hand as seen lots of details online of halfords being quite poor customer service.

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport