Polish Channels with a dish

Options
Hi there

My Polish MIL has a Satellite dish still attached to her house from when she used to be able to get Polish channels with a set top box a Pace one.

This no longer works and we would like to get her a new box which will get all the channels she likes - such as Radio Maria, religious channels etc.

Where would we get such a box, how much and what do we do with the dish ?

Many thanks

PNP

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi there

My Polish MIL has a Satellite dish still attached to her house from when she used to be able to get Polish channels with a set top box a Pace one.

This no longer works and we would like to get her a new box which will get all the channels she likes - such as Radio Maria, religious channels etc.

Where would we get such a box, how much and what do we do with the dish ?

Many thanks

PNP

It really does depend what she is after, If she is after Cyfra+ / Polsat a subsription will be required, If its just the FTA channels any FTA satellite receiver will do, Look onn ebay for FTA satellite receiver, they are next to nothing these days
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Hotbird 7a carries the most fta polish channels I think.
  • potnoodleprincess
    Options
    I have had a look on the Maplin site and they are about £40 which is cool.
    How do I go about getting the Polish channels for her though ? She will just want the basic package I think.

yes I have heard about Hotbird, how do I sort it all out though
  • mayday_poland
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am polish and already I am using a satellite dish to get some channels in my mother tongue ;)
    You can get polish basic channels from hotbird 13°E. You also don't need any high tech satellite box, use the same as you are using for british FTA.
    If you want more channels you will need to sign a contract (12, 18 or 24 months), but you must be resident of the Republic of Poland (you need some dates from polish personal ID).
    You can ask in Maplin who you can ask to set up your satellite dish to hotbird satellite, I am sure they will help you in that.
    Regards
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    I have had a look on the Maplin site and they are about £40 which is cool.
    How do I go about getting the Polish channels for her though ? She will just want the basic package I think.

yes I have heard about Hotbird, how do I sort it all out though

The satellite dishes that you will see on your neighbours houses are facing 28.2 degrees to accept Sky/Freesat. You need to have a dish facing 13.0 to get Hotbird. For just an extra £50(approx) you could get a motorised dish which would allow you to get both those satellites plus a dozen or so more.
    I previously posted how to do this.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=20886079#post20886079
  • potnoodleprincess
    Options
    Thank you both, she already has a dish which was prev used for Polish channels so I think this would be ok just a new box, some cable and fiddling I think
  • PolishBigSpender
    Options

If she wants to get Radio Maryja, then you're doing her a favour by not getting a box!
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure