Moving house - Sky or Virgin Media?

Options
Hello,

We are moving house next week and now we have a definite date we need to decide what package to go with. We are currently with Sky, have Sky+ HD and multi-room. Our new house has Virgin Media, and no BT landline, so if we were to transfer Sky across we would need to pay BT over £100 to reconnect, and Sky would need to come and put the dish on the front of the house.

Has anyone had both Sky and Virgin and recommend either? I've heard mixed reviews about Virgin's customer service (but then Sky have been pretty rubbish too). VM would work out cheaper but we would not get Sky HD channels (doesn't bother me but my OH watches a lot of sport).

Also if we did stick with Sky would it be worth cancelling our current contract and then signing up as a new customer (in my name) to get a better deal?

I'm very confused by it all so sorry if this rambling doesn't make any sense... But any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you

Comments

• Christopherj_2
    Options
    I've recently moved house too and I was a Sky customer. I am now with Virgin Media because I prefer the services they provide, such as on demand and their faster internet speeds.

You firstly need to decide which channels you would watch and find out if you can get these on Virgin Media and if it's cheaper. Also check to see if you can receive cable services.

Virgin Media are currently doing a deal on V+ HD. The box is only £49 and there are no monthly costs to use to service. There is jsut a one off payment of £49. Installation is free.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    hoolah wrote: »
    Hello,

We are moving house next week and now we have a definite date we need to decide what package to go with. We are currently with Sky, have Sky+ HD and multi-room. Our new house has Virgin Media, and no BT landline, so if we were to transfer Sky across we would need to pay BT over £100 to reconnect, and Sky would need to come and put the dish on the front of the house.

Can't do anything about the dish but you can go for the BT free connection providing you sign up for an 18 month contract.

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Notice09_boo/2-FrameworkImpl337855.htm
    Has anyone had both Sky and Virgin and recommend either? I've heard mixed reviews about Virgin's customer service (but then Sky have been pretty rubbish too). VM would work out cheaper but we would not get Sky HD channels (doesn't bother me but my OH watches a lot of sport).

I have broadband and phone with Virgin and TV with Sky. I do prefer the TV with Sky, especially for HD - Virgin has very few channels. If your OH watches a lot of sport not having the Sky HD channels will be a big loss. The Sky box is also more responsive and faster.

Customer service is pretty similar on both.
    Also if we did stick with Sky would it be worth cancelling our current contract and then signing up as a new customer (in my name) to get a better deal?

That's always an option. Depends on what is being offfered.
  • hoolah
    hoolah Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both. The link to the free BT installation is very interesting, i thought it had ended so very useful to know.

We've rang VM who didn't seem that bothered to have our custom and said they couldn't do anything until the current owners disconnect their service, but it will be cheaper overall, and with moving costs ect that is tempting. So still undecided and hopefully will make final decision tomorrow!

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport