Micro no wave.

Options
frugalmacdugal
frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
Hi,

my microwave went 'ping' last night after cooking for a minute, and when I went to it the light was out and no clock display, I've checked the plug fuse, ok, will get into the guts of it today, is there another fuse inside, or something else I should look for?

I've only been using it from new for about 9 months, though I've had it for a few years, bought it in a sale, and kept waiting for my old one to expire, so guarentee will be no good.

Edit: Electra EMW 300

Thanks for any reply.

Comments

  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    I don't know about that particular model, but ours has an overheat protection device built into it. If it gets too hot, the whole thing just dies like you describe, exactly as if the fuse had gone. Leave it too cool down for about an hour or so and it's fine. Could this be the same for your model ?
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

    thanks for the reply.

    Well it was still off this morning, so I've just had a look inside, found an 8a-em fuse, looks as though it has salt in it with 1 black dot, didn't have an 8amp fuse, but found a 1amp, stuck it in, and still not working, though the fuse is still intact.

    So, that's the extent of my electrical know how, is the next step,,,,,,,,,,, the bin?
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 17 September 2009 at 11:54AM
    Options
    Not convinced you should be messing with it if you think a 1amp fuse will work where an 8amp was.
    Anyway i just had a search and Maplin appear to do a suitable fuse :
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=26084
    ..check you get the right size. For under £3 for 10 it may be worth a try. Anyway i would suggest you follow warnings on the back and inside of the microwave carefully as they are there for a reason. There are capacitors inside which will give you a nasty shock even if the microwave is turned off and unplugged (believe me you'll know it as i've had a similar shock from disassembling a computer power supply unit and accidentally touching a capacitor! You only make this mistake once!). Only follow this if your confident in your abilities about what you doing but have a look here for some help http://www.doityourself.com/stry/repairmicrowave .

    If your not sure or have any doubts then your probably best off disposing of it and buying new.

    Andy
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Read this too..very comprehensive with plenty of warnings of the danger involved.

    Andy
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

    thanks, just going to dump it, strange if the gadget is so dangerous it's very easy to get in to the guts of it.

    The reason for using the 1 amp fuse, was because it would blow quicker the a 6 inch nail. :rotfl:

    It's gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards