Does oil central heating devalue a property?

Options
I've found a couple of houses I'm interested in, but they have oil-fired CH. Should I put in a lower offer because of this? They are on the outskirts of a town which does have mains gas.

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do the houses you're interested in have mains gas?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • JMW77
    JMW77 Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have oil central heating and we live in a village and it makes no difference to house prices at all.
    I live in Oxfordshire at lot of villages here have oil as there is no gas in the village!
  • JMW77
    JMW77 Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With oil at least you can ring round each month for the cheapest price ,there is usually quite a variation .Without the hassle of changing provider constantly like gas!

You just have to keep an eye on your tank ,best not to let it run out that can be a pain if it needs bleeding.
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    No, the houses nearby do not have mains gas, but those in the nearby town, about 2 miles away, do.
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Contessa wrote: »
    No, the houses nearby do not have mains gas, but those in the nearby town, about 2 miles away, do.

So maybe Gas isn't even an option at these houses. It can cost hundreds, even thousands of £s to connect a house to gas if the pipes aren't already at the boundary.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The lack of a mains gas supply will have been taken into account in the asking price since the properties were built and until they do get mains gas. Which might be decades.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • samtheman1k
    Options
    If you are comparing a house with no central heating (as there is no gas) with a house with oil central heating, then I'd of thought that oil would INCREASE the value of the house!
  • shirlgirl2004
    Options
    If there were identical houses in the road with gas then yes it would make a difference but if there are none in the immediate area then no. We have recently been looking for a new home and we decided that ideally it would be mains gas but would have considered oil. We would not have considered LPG though having had it before.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    At current prices(between 33p and 36p a litre) oil is not that much more expensive than gas. A litre is approx equal to 10kWh

The problem is prices can change so quickly.
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Another nice house I've noticed in that area only has night storage heaters-and I'd definately prefer oil CH to that. Any ideas of cost of installing that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure