🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

HMRC - CIS return not received - £100 penalty

Options

Comments

• Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    Good on you. I'll report back on Monday how the weekend goes. Looking good for Saturday and Sunday, although tonight might be a bit doubtful.

Good luck - Sunday will be hardest for me as we are going to friends for lunch (walking distance too so I cant even drive there!)
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lol at the conspiracy theory but i dont think there that bad. They deal with 38 million customers so there is going to be a few blips. Appeal it, if its not a common occurance they will look in to it and get it fully investigated.

Also theres no plans to put online CIS submissions compulsary yet, although PAYE will be from 2010? I beleive. I may be wrong on my dates slightly but then I am on maternity leave.:j

I know a lot of people prefer postal but TBH the online system is quick and easy once you get into it.
  • the_money_pit
    Options
    I would second the online submission route, as it gives certainty that it has been delivered.

Do you have gross payment status under CIS? I know of several subbies who have lost their gross payment status for a couple of late PAYE cheques or similar, and I am now paranoid about getting everything submitted on time.

I would still appeal, of course. Blame a postal strike.

Hi all. sorry to jump in on this thread, it s just that we have recently lost our Gross Payment Status due to 2 late SA payments. Anyway we are finding it impossible to meet HMRC's demands as they refuse to offset our monthly deductions against our 20 % personal deduction.
    You mentioned that you know somw contractors in the same position and I wondered have you any idea how they are managing. We do not know anyone else locally to ask and we are at our wits end. Thanks.
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    Hi all. sorry to jump in on this thread, it s just that we have recently lost our Gross Payment Status due to 2 late SA payments. Anyway we are finding it impossible to meet HMRC's demands as they refuse to offset our monthly deductions against our 20 % personal deduction.
    You mentioned that you know somw contractors in the same position and I wondered have you any idea how they are managing. We do not know anyone else locally to ask and we are at our wits end. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that. I know of one that appealed and got the decision reversed, although not sure of the grounds of the appeal. The others are just struggling through.

Sorry that is not of much help to you. You could try googling to see what it comes up with for others who have lost gross payment status.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • catmulogen
    Options
    I could have written the exact post as the OP.
    Again we've always posted our returns and payments on time but in April 09 got a fine as they said no return had been received. I had actually made a 'nil return' to the payment office and this was received. I appealed and it was upheld. Coincidently, I've got a friend who had a fine for April too ( although he had sent his return) and my accountant knew of a couple more clients who had received a fine for this month, for the first time too.
    Since then though i've had no end of trouble with CIS. Had another fine for a late return, although I was told on the telephone by a member of HMRC staff that the return was received on time. In June I also did not receive a return form to complete. Rang them and asked for one to be sent out. This was never received so rang 14 times on another day but could not get through to their office due to 'high call volume'. Tried my local tax office and local HMRC business support team but they couldn't help. I then registered to do the return online but you have to wait for registration details to come through the post so when I was able to do the return it was late so got another fine! I appealed again and got a letter saying it was my responsibility to make sure that the return was received at their office on time - in all honesty, besides going personally to their office to collect a form, there was nothing else I could have done!

Sorry for the long reply but the whole business is making me :mad:. I wrote a letter to HMRC in June but am still awaiting a reply.
    Life's too short for wasting on ifs and might have beens...........
  • catmulogen
    Options
    Just remembered that you might need to check with HMRC the address to send your appeal letter to. My fine came on HMRC paper which had my local tax office address on, and to which you are told to write back to should you wish to appeal. However, when I rang the telephone number on the letter I was told that the letter should be sent to :

Custom House, Carnbayne Way, Carnbayne Industrial Estate, Newry, Co Down, BT 35 6Q6

I'm assuming that this must now be the centralised 'appeal office' but you might be best checking that it is the same office for everyone.
    Good luck !
    Life's too short for wasting on ifs and might have beens...........
  • checkincherry
    Options
    Won't help with current issue, but for future ref you can take your tax returns to your local HMRc office ( Get a receipt). THis counts as having "submitted". Hopefully a useful tip in view of the current RM strikes all over the show.
  • Eyesparky
    Eyesparky Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    Won't help with current issue, but for future ref you can take your tax returns to your local HMRc office ( Get a receipt). THis counts as having "submitted". Hopefully a useful tip in view of the current RM strikes all over the show.

They refuse to give receipts or stamp and sign a pre-prepared receipt (this is what we used to do) now but are happy to pass you on to an advisor who explains that they unable to verify receipt of a return ... nice idea though that used to work well until they stopped it in order to achieve maximum deniability.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." — Confucius
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Lifeisbutadream Posts: 13,102 Forumite
    Options
    Well this takes the biscuit.

I had a letter this morning asking me why I had sent the form in twice and why they were different (one was £1 different to the other one - my mistake) - when I rang they told me that the first form had been received on time and that I hadnt needed to send another one... they said they would write to confirm that I didnt need to pay the fine...

We are paying for this 'service' !!!!

I know they want to control the Building Industry, but when are they going to realise that the only people who jump through their hoops are the honest ones who would pay their taxes anyway!

Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
  • DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HMRC are under pressure at the moment, they are under staffed.

On line submissions are beginning to crash (it took me 2.5hrs to submit my online CIS last month, via Sage) I had to ring up the technical helpline and they manually pulled the submission through their system. There a 7 yes 7 stages an online submission goes through and mine was stuck at the 3rd one.

I wish I could go back to paper submissions but ours are too big now.

Always send returns via Guaranteed next day post, you get a signature and can track the letter via the post office.
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport