HMRC - CIS return not received - £100 penalty

Options
Wonder if anyone can advise?

I sent my CIS return and payment (to two seperate offices) on 12th August 2009. The payment was received and banked on 17th August, but apparantly the return was never recieved. I got a £100 late penalty charge this morning.

I will obviously be appealing - I posted the return! what more could I do? now if the payment had not been received I could understand it, but why would I post a payment and not a return?

This is the second time this has happened in just over a year - I dont know whether Royal Mail are at fault of whether it is HMRC that have lost it, but I am very cross - not only do I have to fill it in again, but they expect me to pay £100 for the privilage!

Comments

• nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried using the online CIS system? This way if the returns goes missing you have a submission receipt to back it up. Millions of people use this every day but it is personal preference.

It could have been lost in the post, or maybe posted to the wrong office? (im not accusing, im just looking at all avenues) The office would take the payment and allocate it to your account even if the return was not there. The processing and payment offices are different im afraid. If the balance was zero then you paid say £100 then it would go into credit.

I dont deal with CIS but i have dealt with the online side so any questions please ask :D
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    I would second the online submission route, as it gives certainty that it has been delivered.

Do you have gross payment status under CIS? I know of several subbies who have lost their gross payment status for a couple of late PAYE cheques or similar, and I am now paranoid about getting everything submitted on time.

I would still appeal, of course. Blame a postal strike.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    nikki2804 wrote: »
    Have you tried using the online CIS system? This way if the returns goes missing you have a submission receipt to back it up. Millions of people use this every day but it is personal preference.

It could have been lost in the post, or maybe posted to the wrong office? (im not accusing, im just looking at all avenues) The office would take the payment and allocate it to your account even if the return was not there. The processing and payment offices are different im afraid. If the balance was zero then you paid say £100 then it would go into credit.

I dont deal with CIS but i have dealt with the online side so any questions please ask :D

I put it in their enevlope so if has gone to the wrong office it is their own fault. :D

As old fashioned as it sounds I really do (did) prefer paper than online, but I might have to do this at some point.
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    I would second the online submission route, as it gives certainty that it has been delivered.

Do you have gross payment status under CIS? I know of several subbies who have lost their gross payment status for a couple of late PAYE cheques or similar, and I am now paranoid about getting everything submitted on time.

I would still appeal, of course. Blame a postal strike.

What is gross payment status?

I am definately going to appeal - I filled in the form and sent it off - as I said to them on the phone how could I have possibly known how much to pay if I hadnt filled in the form as well? (not that they cared :o)

PS I have £20 in my holiday fund now :D hows it going?
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    This is going to sound paranoid, but are you sure they haven't lost it on purpose as they are trying to force people into doing everything on line!!
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    patanne wrote: »
    This is going to sound paranoid, but are you sure they haven't lost it on purpose as they are trying to force people into doing everything on line!!

I thought the exact same thing ! they didnt lose my cheque!

The baswards! :cool:
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    What is gross payment status?

I am definately going to appeal - I filled in the form and sent it off - as I said to them on the phone how could I have possibly known how much to pay if I hadnt filled in the form as well? (not that they cared :o)

PS I have £20 in my holiday fund now :D hows it going?

Gross payment status meaning you have no tax deducted off payments rather than the 20% or 30%. Having said that I guess most of your customers are members of the public which would be outside the scope for CIS. Forget I said anything!

Well done on the holiday fund front. I'm currently quite happy lagging behind, trying to decide if Friday is a good day to start going TT. On a more positive front, we have just moved house and I should get the home gym back up and running over the weekend which should give me something a bit more positive to do in an evening.
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    patanne wrote: »

This is true, VAT returns will be online from next April I think and everyone will be doing the payroll year ends online too from next year IIRC.

I prefer paper too, but have had to bow to the inevitable.
  • Lifeisbutadream
    Options
    Gross payment status meaning you have no tax deducted off payments rather than the 20% or 30%. Having said that I guess most of your customers are members of the public which would be outside the scope for CIS. Forget I said anything!

Well done on the holiday fund front. I'm currently quite happy lagging behind, trying to decide if Friday is a good day to start going TT. On a more positive front, we have just moved house and I should get the home gym back up and running over the weekend which should give me something a bit more positive to do in an evening.

I see what you mean now - no we have not had anyone as yet with Gross Payment Status..

My fund will definately go down as OH will be delving into it over the weekend! I am sticking to it though!
  • Bean_Counter
    Options
    My fund will definately go down as OH will be delving into it over the weekend! I am sticking to it though!

Good on you. I'll report back on Monday how the weekend goes. Looking good for Saturday and Sunday, although tonight might be a bit doubtful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport