MSE News: Barclaycard pre-application check could prevent credit woe

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Barclaycard will allow potential customers to check their chances of acceptance before formally applying for a credit card.

Even if you don't plan on getting a Barclaycard, you could use the result to estimate your chances of being accepted elsewhere ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After saying I have an 80-90% of getting a card it then stopped me later on because of my age (have to be 21 for most of the cards)

Even though it asked me my age before I started the pre-application check....

*doh*
  • brownbabygirl
    Options
    I passed the pre check but then when i went for the real thing (80% chance of acceptance), was told they need more info and would let me know the outcome of my application. i am peeved. this is just a sneeky way of luring us to apply with them.
    QUIDCO £2827 paid out since October 2007:D
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Most banks will do this just ask in a branch and wait for the vultures (sorry sales staff) sorry (personal account manager) to tell you.
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    Barclaycard, which says it is the first card lender to offer this service
    It's about time the banks started using this; it's been around for ages. They're also known as 'quotation checks.'

Lets see, a quick google brings up this article from 2006:
    http://www.mortgageintroducer.com/mortgages/13893/5/Industry_in_depth/Footprints.htm
    A second type of footprint, known as a ‘soft footprint’, is used by lenders if they want to credit check a customer in order to produce a detailed price quotation for a mortgage. Other lenders can also see these soft footprints, but as they only reflect a quotation rather than an actual mortgage application, they are viewed very differently to hard footprints.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting - from Barclaycard's own website - terms & conditions -

Your details will be shared with the relevant credit reference agency to carry out the quotation search and will not be used for any other purpose. Your personal data will not be stored for longer than necessary or passed to any third parties. We will not store the information you supply to us for the quotation search on our systems and the result will not be available from Barclays at a future date. This service will not affect your ability to obtain credit in the future or be seen by any other lenders. We take data security seriously and as such, any personal information you give us is protected over the Internet using secure web server technology.

If it does appear to other lenders (even as just a quotation search) then their legal terms & conditions are incorret). Also presumably if there is a raft of people using this new service then any visible search, even a quotation search, could impact on any credit application where the credit file data is analysed by a person rather than a computer.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    To be fair the soft search is done at CallCredit and only if you proceed to full application does it then search the real CRA (Equifax). Not many lenders check CallCredit when assessing credit so its really no big deal.
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • Cash_Flow
    Cash_Flow Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2009 at 2:09PM
    Options
    Tixy wrote: »
    Interesting - from Barclaycard's own website - terms & conditions -

Your details will be shared with the relevant credit reference agency to carry out the quotation search and will not be used for any other purpose. Your personal data will not be stored for longer than necessary or passed to any third parties. We will not store the information you supply to us for the quotation search on our systems and the result will not be available from Barclays at a future date. This service will not affect your ability to obtain credit in the future or be seen by any other lenders. We take data security seriously and as such, any personal information you give us is protected over the Internet using secure web server technology.

If it does appear to other lenders (even as just a quotation search) then their legal terms & conditions are incorret). Also presumably if there is a raft of people using this new service then any visible search, even a quotation search, could impact on any credit application where the credit file data is analysed by a person rather than a computer.

Quotation searches are not visible to other lenders.

Barclaycard's legal terms and conditions are correct.
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is a waste of time unless they check they data of the CRA they will use for a full application and search.
    This way it will give people a true picture of their chances of being accepted.

So all in all it is a waste of time, data and money unless they use Equifax.
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed, as my two current accounts show up on Callcredit and Experian but not Equifax, apparently the Co-op only report their loans and credit cards to them. So the quotation they came up with was based on more data than they would see with Equifax and I would probably get declined.
  • just for interest is there anyway of linking approx eligibility from barclaycard to credit scores.

ie could be useful to have those who know their credit rating (very good, good, poor etc) state which cards they were offered and the percentage chance.

That way it might enable people to quick check (obviously proper credit files would be better, but rough and ready is better than nothing).

I managed to get a 12.4% Platinum 60 70% chance. I am assuming that I am medium-poor, but it would be good to link up.

Very strange as I am currently with Barclaycard and I am 6.9%apr on all purchases, hope this isnt an indication that my rate is going to get hiked....gulp
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure