Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

MSE News: Inflation hits five-year low

edited 13 October 2009 at 9:27AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
36 replies 451 views
124»

Replies

• nicko33nicko33 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Generali wrote: »
    Hi nicko33,
    What are those numbers predictions of please?
    the headline RPI year on year figure
  • GeneraliGenerali
    36.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nicko33 wrote: »
    the headline RPI year on year figure

So is the argument once the interest rate cuts are stripped out of the figures RPI will trend back to where it was a year ago?

I would have thought it would be more likely that RPI would trend towards CPI once the big interest rate changes are gone. I guess that doesn't factor in house price rises in the meantime so what you say sounds reasonable.

We'll see I suppose. I struggle to see big increases in inflation given the excess capacity that must be building in the world's economy right now. The fall in the pound reducing the buying power of Brits may mean inflation is imported. I have doubts given that I think pricing power for sellers jsut isn't there at the moment.
  • nicko33nicko33 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Generali wrote: »
    So is the argument once the interest rate cuts are stripped out of the figures RPI will trend back to where it was a year ago?
    not so much that it will go back to what it was a year ago, but that the inflation in other areas will no longer be masked, so the inflation in "things" that we have seen over the course of the year to date (jan-today) becomes more visible.

my trend of guesses up to 3.3% is mostly just an extension of what we have seen YTD (with slightly slowing inflation), compared with Oct-08 to Jan-09
  • GeneraliGenerali
    36.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nicko33 wrote: »
    not so much that it will go back to what it was a year ago, but that the inflation in other areas will no longer be masked, so the inflation in "things" that we have seen over the course of the year to date (jan-today) becomes more visible.

my trend of guesses up to 3.3% is mostly just an extension of what we have seen YTD (with slightly slowing inflation), compared with Oct-08 to Jan-09

Fair point.

I don't see retailers having pricing power to push through price rises TBH, especially as manufacturers don't have an abundance of healthy retail markets to sell into. Time, as ever, will tell.
  • Generali wrote: »
    Fair point.

I don't see retailers having pricing power to push through price rises TBH, especially as manufacturers don't have an abundance of healthy retail markets to sell into. Time, as ever, will tell.

I'd agree although food & energy price increases will tend to get passed on regardless.
    US housing: it's not a bubble

Moneyweek, December 2005
  • GeneraliGenerali
    36.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kennyboy66 wrote: »
    I'd agree although food & energy price increases will tend to get passed on regardless.

I agree.

Retailers of those things are buying at market price and selling on with little or no mark-up (I think petrol retailers claim to have no mark-up on the fuel the petrol is a way to get people to visit their convenience store) so they have little choice but to pass on price increases.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News