Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Inflation hits five-year low

Options
Former_MSE_Natasha
Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
edited 13 October 2009 at 10:27AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) fell from 1.6% to 1.1% over the month, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). The measure was last at this level in September 2004 ..."

Read the full story:
Inflation hits five-year low
OfficialStamp.gif

Thanks to Really2 for the original post. This thread was merged to prevent duplication

Comments

• Really2
    Really2 Posts: 12,397 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 October 2009 at 9:30AM
    Options
    Sill inflation falls with oil increasing.

Goes to show how global this down turn is and how slack in the system worldwide is driving down prices.
  • inspector_monkfish
    Options
    Really2 wrote: »
    Sill inflation falls with oil increasing.

Goes to show how global this down turn is and how slack in the system worldwide is driving down prices.

its not released until 9.30am.... how do u know this ???
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • inspector_monkfish
    Options
    could be this........

09:25 13Oct09 GBP/USD: Sterling Taken Lower By Leaked Data Talk

Sterling was edged a little lower to 1.5740 on market chatter which suggested the 09:30 UK inflation data had been leaked. There is, however, no indication of what the leaked numbers are.

Cable is bumping along a line just above 1.5750 but looks vulnerable and this despite a drop from 1.5830 at the Asian open.
    Please take the time to have a look around my Daughter's website www.daisypalmertrust.co.uk
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • Really2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    its not released until 9.30am.... how do u know this ???

Bloody forex factory had them down as released now back to waiting":mad::D

I can see an advanced edit coming on. :)
  • inspector_monkfish
    Options
    Really2 wrote: »
    Bloody forex factory had them down as released now back to waiting":mad::D

I can see an advanced edit coming on. :)

think they are the forecasts ....
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • lemonjelly
    lemonjelly Posts: 8,014 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We're waiting....;)
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • Really2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 October 2009 at 9:38AM
    Options
    CPI 1.1% Rpi -1.4%:eek:
  • Really2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    think they are the forecasts ....

They were down as forecast and release, either that or my browser wanted to nobble me :) (or I am blind as a bat)
  • inspector_monkfish
    Options
    09:30 13Oct09 UK CPI inflation +1.1 pct in September, lowest yy rate in 5 yrs

LONDON, Oct 13 - British consumer price inflation eased more than expected in September to hit its lowest annual rate in five years due to base effects from the spike in energy prices last year, official data showed on Tuesday.

The Office for National Statistics said prices were unchanged between August and September, the lowest rate of change since records began in 1996.

That left the annual rate of inflation at 1.1 percent, the lowest since September 2004 and below analysts' forecasts for an easing to 1.3 percent.

The Retail Price Inflation price gauge fell to -1.4 percent from -1.3 percent in August, less than forecasts for a bigger decline to -1.5 percent.

The ONS said the biggest impact on annual CPI came from the household services, principally gas and electricity bills, which were unchanged on the month but rose sharply a year ago.
    The ONS said electricity, gas and other fuels fell 7.3% on the year, and the lowest rate since the official series began in January 1997

- Lowest monthly rate of CPI since records began in 1996
    - Lowest annual CPI rate since Sept 2004
    - Lowest yy rate of food and non-alcoholic beverages since May 2006
    - Lowest yy rate of housing, water, electricity gas and other fuels since series began in Jan 1997
    - Lowest yy rate for restaurants and hotels since series began in Jan 1997
    - Lowest yy rate for all goods since May 2005
    - Lowest yy rate for all services since series began in Jan 1997
    - The ONS said electricity, gas and other fuels fell 7.3% on the year, and the lowest rate since the official series began in Jan 1997
    - The ONS said the biggest impact on annual CPI came from the household services, principally gas and electricity bills
    - Upward pressure came from transport, in particular fuels and lubricants
    - The ROSSI index was up 1.8% on the year, compared with 6.3% in Sept 2008
    (MSE Andrea says ok!)
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    So, with base rates at 0.5%, a devalued pound, and higher oil prices, CPI is now down to 1.1%.... And RPI is -1.4%.

Glad we didn't listen to the morons calling for rate rises all this year.:eek:

The BoE nailed it with that call, strong deflationary pressures, QE was the right thing to do, and no way we'll be seeing rate rises any time soon.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport