New Post Advanced Search

How much did 2 OXO's cost in 1936?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
26 replies 2.6K views
charley4charley4 Forumite
159 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
Hope this is on the right board.
I am trying to right my first short article for a weekly mag just one that pays a tenner for a short true story. it's a story that my brother told me, hence why i'm needing to know the price of two oxo's, in 1936 I am always trying to make a few bob, the pension doesn't go far. hope someone can help. Thanks!

Replies

• margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you bought them in ones or twos. I grew up in an impoverished family but they always bought Oxos in packets of 12 - the grocer wouldn't split a packet into single cubes.

Can't help you with the cost, I'm afraid - in 1936 I was one year old!

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Ken68Ken68 Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oxo will know, there is a newsletter.....http://www.oxo.co.uk/
  • MrT_5MrT_5 Forumite
    397 posts
    I don't think you bought them in ones or twos. I grew up in an impoverished family but they always bought Oxos in packets of 12 - the grocer wouldn't split a packet into single cubes.

Can't help you with the cost, I'm afraid - in 1936 I was one year old!

Margaret Clare

All good corner shops in the fifties would sell single oxo's and loose cigarettes. Bought plenty myself. We were very impoverished as well. ;) I should imagine that they would be about a farthing or at worst a halfpenny each in 1936 but well before my time sorry.
    Don't buy the Sun.
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrT wrote:
    All good corner shops in the fifties would sell single oxo's and loose cigarettes. Bought plenty myself. We were very impoverished as well. ;) I should imagine that they would be about a farthing or at worst a halfpenny each in 1936 but well before my time sorry.

That's the difference. We didn't go to a corner shop - there wasn't one. There was a grocer who came round, took an order for the week's groceries, box of groceries was delivered.

Our nearest corner shop would have been about 12 miles away. It sounds 'posh' doesn't it - groceries getting delivered. We were desperately poor but that was how it was done out in rural areas - no corner shops! Also, it wouldn't have been any use having single Oxos. The box of groceries had to last for the week, until the next order and delivery.

The system of grocer and butcher coming round lasted into the early 1960s, when we bought our first home (1962). I'd still prefer doing it that way - I hate supermarkets, always have. Things come round in full circle though, don't they - shop online and get your groceries delivered!

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Just a bit before my time :rolleyes: but I think I remember they were 1d each from the corner shop in the 50's, so a farthing each (or for two) in 1936 might not be far off the mark. Grocery shop junior assistant's wages in the mid 30's was 7s 6d for 5 1/2 days including two late nights to 9pm.
    Don't forget to let us know the answer :smiley:
  • MrT_5MrT_5 Forumite
    397 posts
    The corner shops used to have them in those red metal boxes which are probably quite collectable these days. Must of held lots so unless you were quite rich, they had to be for selling loose. We used to buy them for making drinks. I still have one now and then but out of a packet of 12 so obviously we are considerably richer now. Sad isn't it? Can't remember mother ever using them to make gravy despite what Katie said! "Gives a meal man appeal". Very sexist what? :D

Corner shops around our way used to give tick but if you didn't pay on time your name went in the window. Probably sue them if they did that now! :rotfl:
    Don't buy the Sun.
  • RichyRichRichyRich Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love drinking Oxo...much nicer than Bovril. Will have to go out and buy some tomorrow now.

Had a bit of a search online and can't help you out with 1930s prices im afraid :(

RIch
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • jackiebjackieb Forumite
    27.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't found the price yet but apparently they did sell them in separately. I bet they didn't cost £3 each though lol.

http://www.tinshop.co.uk/more.php4?itemId=266
  • jenniferpajenniferpa Forumite
    1K posts
    I can't help with 1936 prices but my Grandmother's 1869 Mrs Beeton lists 1/4 lb of Liebig's Beef Essence (the precursor of OXO) at 2s 3d! I imagine the price actually went down after that since at that point it would have come into the category of luxury items. For comparison purposes Cadbury's Cocoa was 10 1/2d a pound.

Jennifer
  • KMKKMK Forumite
    271 posts
    MrT wrote:
    The corner shops used to have them in those red metal boxes which are probably quite collectable these days. Must of held lots so unless you were quite rich, they had to be for selling loose. We used to buy them for making drinks. I still have one now and then but out of a packet of 12 so obviously we are considerably richer now. Sad isn't it? Can't remember mother ever using them to make gravy despite what Katie said! "Gives a meal man appeal". Very sexist what? :D

Corner shops around our way used to give tick but if you didn't pay on time your name went in the window. Probably sue them if they did that now! :rotfl:

I also remember a notice you often saw in corner shops

"Please do not ask for credit as a refusal often offends". What a succint use of language and reasonably pleasant in tone too! We had a Co-op number and woe betide if you forgot to give it when you did the errands at the "store" as it was called in our town.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support