PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

ITC Legal Services - Avoid Them

Options

Comments

• beverley40
    Options
    Can anyone help.we went with itc im march this year.cant remember if we signed power of eternity to them.they have not got the grant of probate yet.cqn i cancel or stop them from getting the grant of probate.as i dont want yo use them:-( any help would be gratefull
  • Honda_Trike
    Options
    Hi
    I had the misfortune to be connected with ITC. My wife passed away in may 2009, to this day I dont know how ITC came into my life. I was devistated all I wanted was some help from someone. ITC said they would deal with everything and the cost would be about £2000 today it is still on going at a cost of nearly £4000, despite several atemps to sack them they are still insisting that they cannot stop acting on my behalf until everything is finalised. They claim that they have found moneis owing to my late wife to the value of £2,553.16, but they still want me to cough up an exstra £1,630.00 I can't for the life of me accept this. I feel that it is only a matter of time before I'm taken to court and possibly made to pay or go to prison. I feel that they have taken unfair advantage when I was greeving for my wife and most vunrable. Also ITC have put the two properties in there name, so now I have to pay them to have them put back into my name. If I insist on not paying them, can they take the two houses and sell them? I dont know how I stand any help would be greatly recieved.
    Honda Trike
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well you certainly cannot go to prison, Charles Dickens is not being serialised in the magazines any more.
    You can be made bankrupt, presumably the "two properties" are coming to you and they have some value?
    So you want one or other of the properties to be sold, with extra charges against the estate?

Before we can comment further, you need to explain about the will the executor(s) and the assets and liabilities of the estate and any claimants or other beneficiaries.
  • Honda_Trike
    Options
    My wife passed away without leaving a will, the two houses were in my wifes name as I could not have my name on the morgages as I did not have a regular income, I was classed as a pensioner, so it was easier to put the two houses in my wifes name although I had paid 50% towards the deposits and refurbishment. I am the only beneficiarie I have asked the mortgage lenders if I can keep on paying the mortgages just after my wife passed away, as ITC were dragging there heel's, and they allowed me to continue with mortgage payments. Now three years on ITC are still dragging there heel's and wanting more money. ITC say they had to put the houses in there name in order to continue with the probate. Now I have an agreement with the mortgage lender to keep on paying the mortgages, can ITC suddenly turn around and sell the houses from under me. I have been advised to pay up and get them out of my life for good, is this a good idea or what ? Iam at a loss as to what to do.
    Honda Trike
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 April 2012 at 8:02PM
    Options
    I am probably not the best person to comment, as I managed to avoid dealing with ITC when my uncle, who banked with Barclays, died.
    ITC pass themselves off as Barclay's Bereavement Department.

In your position, I think I would try to arrange a meeting with ITC and get a final price off them for putting the two properties into your name.

However you also need to make an agreement with the mortgage company who could sell the properties to pay off your wife's loan (she had no life insurance to cover the mortgages?).

What are you plans if you can manage to keep control of the mortgaged properties?
  • Honda_Trike
    Options
    I have been reasured by the morgage lender that if I continue to pay the mortgages (without default) they will not recall the houses. I belive that ITC take great pleasure in putting everything into there name just to make people think that they have full control so that when we disagree with their out come and astranomical figures we wont have a leg to stand on. My initial figure agreed was £2000 now its doubled to just over £4000, I'm quite prepaired for them to take me to court. 2 days ago I asked them for a copy of my signature on the form that gave them power of attorney, I have not had a reply from them as yet, and I dont think I will because I have found the power of attorney forms unsigned and not returned? so if they cant show me a signed copy are they legaly in charge of my case?
  • portlandboy
    portlandboy Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For anyone who has arrived at ITC's clutches via Barclays Bank, here is an offer of help from their Facebook page:

Barclays UK Hi Mark.

ITC is a leading provider of probate services in the UK and serves customers of many banks and financial institutions, including Barclays. Probate services, in general, are not regulated and our customers are under no obligation to use ITC, although we may offer an introduction if probate is required.

We're sorry if you've experienced problems following a bereavement, particularly if you feel that difficulties have arisen as a result of actions taken by Barclays or by ITC after an introduction by Barclays. We'd like to look into this for you and assist where we can.

Please email further details, including your postcode, to wr@barclays.com and we'll do our best to help.

-Edd

...and here is a link to their Facebook site, should you wish to let them know how you feel via that!
    https://www.facebook.com/BarclaysUK
    Note to Self: When posting, remember to keep within "forum rules" to avoid upsetting other "interested parties"
  • centretap
    centretap Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    beverley40 wrote: »
    Can anyone help.we went with itc im march this year.cant remember if we signed power of eternity to them

I think you mean "power of attorney".

"Power of eternity" would be selling your soul to the Devil. Hang on though, we are talking about ITC, perhaps you are right after all.
  • portlandboy
    portlandboy Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Further to my most recent post, here is the latest from the conversation between myself & Barclay's Bank:

(Mark Burden) With your permission, I will copy and paste this reply to our Facebook page, where I'm sure you will receive replies from numerous customers, all of whom have been duped into using this service following a phone call from ITC who fail to mention that they are NOT part of Barclays Bank and then provide a service that is not reflective of their supposed standing within the probate industry.

The BBC TV show "Rip-Off Britain has already highlighted the bad quality of service that ITC Legal Services provide within the probate industry and, although I was not introduced to ITC via Barclays myself, I find the business connection that Barclays has made with ITC Legal Services making up a very large number of the complaints that we hear about.

I'm sure you will be about to get some responses.

Regards, Mark

Their reply:

(Barclays UK) Hi Mark.

The email address we've provided is aimed at visitors to our social media spaces, but we'll endeavour to answer any queries we receive. Concerned customers can contact us via any of the methods provided on the following page: http://www.barclays.co.uk/ContactUs/Howtocomplain/P1242558122337. We'll treat any similar reports very seriously and help in any way we can.

We'd like to point out that the BBC programme featured a case that was specific to ITC and made no reference to Barclays. We understand that ITC no longer offer that particular, independent service which has never been made available to our customers.

Regarding your comment around the information provided on phone calls, we'd appreciate it if customers could mention this when contacting us and we'll be happy to investigate.

-Edd
    Note to Self: When posting, remember to keep within "forum rules" to avoid upsetting other "interested parties"
  • angrygirlie
    angrygirlie Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    I have been reasured by the morgage lender that if I continue to pay the mortgages (without default) they will not recall the houses. I belive that ITC take great pleasure in putting everything into there name just to make people think that they have full control so that when we disagree with their out come and astranomical figures we wont have a leg to stand on. My initial figure agreed was £2000 now its doubled to just over £4000, I'm quite prepaired for them to take me to court. 2 days ago I asked them for a copy of my signature on the form that gave them power of attorney, I have not had a reply from them as yet, and I dont think I will because I have found the power of attorney forms unsigned and not returned? so if they cant show me a signed copy are they legaly in charge of my case?

ITC have really got you in a pickle. I suggest you find a local probate solicitor snd pay for a session of advice.It may cost a couple of hundred pounds but you will save in the end. Take all paperwork.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure