e2save/CPW 7600 cashback terms

faddy
faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
I've recently bought a 7600 from e2save. e2save and CPW both ask for 6th and 12th bills, so these questions probably apply to both firms:

1) They ask for a copy of the "6th monthly bill". The first bill I've received just covers the first couple of days calls and rental in advance for the first full month. I presume this bill shouldn't be counted as one of the six?

2) A sheet with the phone asks you to stay on the same tarrif for six months. Is this correct, given that they want to see your 12 th bill?

Comments

• Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'd count it as the 1st bill.

Stay on the same tariff for the full 12 months otherwise they will not want to pay you the 2nd cashback
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Even though previously I have seen cashback mention "first full month" -  whatever period it covers I'll count it as month 1, as potential to missed month 6 if late sending it in
    --
    also easier to cancel ( if yopu plan) at actual end of 12m , if already sent in 12th bill

--
    in fact if it covers more than 1 month I might be tempted to class it as months 1 &2
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • xwing
    xwing Posts: 61 Forumite
    I have the same problem.
    But I've rather try it earlier. :D
    Val :)
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,984 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    E2Save insist on no tariff downgrade as they (carphone warehouse) have a revenue sharing agreement with 3. You could always ask the CS which bill to treat as number 6 - they have responded to my emails before.

Note that this is not the case for all the companies offering cashback but before chosing a smaller retailler, also note some online retaillers have gone into liquidation leaving cashbacks unpaid (mobile republic)

Other discussion forums have stated that the expected take-up of cashback may be as low as 30% so there is scope for financial problems if the take up is higher.
    I think....
  • Other discussion forums have stated that the expected take-up of cashback may be as low as 30% so there is scope for financial problems if the take up is higher.
    Could you tell us which other discussion forums are good for mobile phone info?

Thanks.
  • Mr_B_13
    Mr_B_13 Posts: 126 Forumite
    I was intrigued to hear above that take up on cashbacks may be as low as 30% - if this is the case, then no wonder there are more companies offering these as they are relying on the fact that they wont have to pay up (in addition to all the hoops that they make you jump through so that they can try and wriggle out of it for those that do bother!).

I am more surprised that there are that many daft consumers who buy what may not be the latest spec phone on the basis of the cashback, fork out line rental all year and then don't bother to claim ???  Or are consumers so un-savvy and have so much money that they can afford not to claim (in which case, why not go for a better phone which would still no doubt be free, but without cashback on the line rental?!).  Is it just being disorganised or lazy?  Are these the same people that sign up for 0% on credit cards and then don't bother to change at the end, hitting themselves with high interest payments ...

Not having a go, just making an observation - in addition to any other data on cashbacks, I would be interested to hear also on how much commission mobile retailers make from the networks to be able to afford to give a free phone and (in some cases) 12 months free line rental (unless they will make a loss on each deal that actually claims ... ::), hence the hoops).  UPdate: further to Michael's comment below, I had a scout about on the forums over there and they link through to the following document which makes interesting reading:

http://www.hughsymons.com/documents/hscm/pdf/hsc78_december_price_guide_email_web_version3.pdf

However, on reflection, who are we to worry how the numbers add up (and how they make their money) so long as the cashback is paid on time as promised and they are around to pay up?

Kind regards

Mr B
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,984 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Check out https://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum for lots of discussion on this very issue - some of it possibly even informed ;-)
    I think....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport