florida car hire

Options
trevndeb
trevndeb Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 7 September 2009 at 9:27PM in Flights, currency & car hire
I have booked a florida package holiday with car included.It turns out I now have to pay thomas cook £320 for extra insurance which is £100 more than I can hire a car for with insurance included .I am tempted to tell them to keep thier car and hire seperately.Has any one taken this route.I would be greatful for comments.

Comments

• Nordictat2
    Nordictat2 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always book my car hire and flights separately because I find alot of times you can find a better car hire deal elsewhere.

For example..I'm living in Norway right now and I always order car hire from UK based travel sites because Norway wants say £600 and the UK ones will be £300 for a car hire in US.

So if you can take the car hire away..do it. It may change the cost of your package though (increase) so do ask and or read before you cancel and good luck :)
    :D *If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button* :D
  • old_motters
    Options
    trevndeb wrote: »
    I have booked a florida package holiday with car included.It turns out I now have to pay thomas cook £320 for extra insurance which is £100 more than I can hire a car for with insurance included .I am tempted to tell them to keep thier car and hire seperately.Has any one taken this route.I would be greatful for comments.

How long is the rental? Are you able to insure the car under a different policy bought in the UK or are they forcing you to buy their insurance? Has TC told you which hire company the car is with, you may be able to approach them directly rather than booking the insurance through TC and paying their markup.

I would also take a look at netflights and ebookers to see what their rental rates are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure