🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

withdrawing from ISA - Better than taking on a loan?

Options
Due to having her car written off my partner needs to buy a new one.

She needs approx £2,500 to buy a replacement after receiving payment on her old car.

She has an ISA taken out this year, which I believe is with Nationwide.

Is she better off removing some cash from the ISA instead of taking on a loan?

Comments

• sheslookinhot
    Options
    mr-mad wrote: »

She needs approx £2,500 to buy a replacement after receiving payment on her old car.

I guess the difference could be upward of 5% between interest on ISA and loan. As long as she has some cash to cover emergencies then my view would be yes, remove cash from ISA.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    My cash ISA with Natwest is 3.5% but on the right side of the screen you cans ee a link for the best balance transfer card with MBNA.

This offers money transfer to your bank accoutn at 1.9% for a year.

I've done this for the final payment of my car instead of withdrawing the savings as i had originally planned.

Gives me another year anyway to save more
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mr-mad wrote: »

I view my cash ISAs as alternative retirement, always funding the max each year, and this if I withdraw one year, I view the loss as permanent - losing the good tax free interest year after year. I make more on my ISAs than I pay on my mortgage, so it is an ongoing yearly loss.

When I purchased my car I took out a "0% on purchases for a year" credit card, and agreed to split the card handling fee with the car salesman. I paid a 1% handling fee, which got me a year's interest-free credit and 1% back in "card loyalty points" - ie it cost me nothing. Typically you may expect to pay a 2.5% fee, thus it costs you about 1.5% after gettnig loyalty points back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport