Just been on a minibreak and over spent feel so ashamed.

spinningsheep
spinningsheep Posts: 1,042
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 8 September 2009 at 7:36PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi. I write this on the train coming home from a couple of days away in Blackpool. It is the closest I will get to a holiday this year and went with 2 friends and we had an amazing time despite the cr*p weather! I saved up and set me a budget of £150 for the whole trip, really worked hard to get the best deal on the train and hotel and that came in at £63, but I have overspent by about £40 and I feel so stupid. I spent £20 on a palm reading! Part of me says " it was your sort of holiday for 2009 so just remember you enjoyed it" whereas another part says "that £40 was your travel money for the month you idiot". IVA is pending to start and I really feel so un-moneysaving at the moment. Sorry this post has no purpose other than for me to sort of vent :(

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 

Comments

• We all do that now and again i'm sure, your only human! i do it all the time..usually with the food bill and then I feel terrible but it kinda spurs me on, something I realised was that I had spent many years being silly with money and it took me a good while to re-train myself

Unfortunatley hind sight is a wonderful thing - just think that was my holiday for this year as the old me and from today its the new MSE me that will be more strict!

What did she say anyways? no lottery win or millionaire on the horizon?
    TOTAL: (1.9.2008) £[strike]20,971.00[/strike] (02.12.10)£11,006.07
    £9,262.93 Paid off (Since LBM) :D
    Debt Free Date [strike]2021[/strike] 2015
    Savings £100 Dec NSD 11/20, Sealed pot challenger 1043
    :xmassign:
  • Primula
    Primula Posts: 953 Forumite
    Don't beat yourself up, TBH it could have been a lot worse, you enjoyed it, so just get back to your money saving ways now and don't give yourself a hard time.
  • But did the palm reading say you were going to be rich?? That's the important thing....

Honestly, don't beat yourself up about it - so long as you had a good time anyway.

:j
  • pebblespop
    pebblespop Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    i spent money i didn't really have on a pair of boots yesterday. they were £30 (reduced from £100) and i did need them for winter and they were a lot less than i would normally pay.

anyway, i went on quidco last night and did some of the free offers to make up what i had spent so i would feel a bit better!!

could you sell on ebay or something to get the money back?
  • lola34
    lola34 Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, I know we all try to save and cut back etc but as you said it was your only hol and you have to treat yourself sometimes, we went to York bank hol and spent £150 in a day inc meal for 4 but it was a treat so don't worry
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    As the others said.. don't beat yourself up. You were on holiday and we're all entitled to indulge in things we enjoy, now and again.

On the bright side, could have been worse.

I spent £1500 in one shop, just last month... when I could have used it to pay off the credit cards. Everyone does it. :p
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • anh1904
    anh1904 Posts: 480 Forumite
    Firstly, Don't beat yourself up. Hey, you've got to live, and if you feel resentful too much, you will miss the memory of the holiday and the fun you hopefully had with your friends.

It is our little financial misdemeanours which teach us to be so much more than we were.

It's done it's gone. End of.
    Like all revolutions, guerrilla goodness begins slowly, with a single act. Let it be yours.

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
  • some great advice and encouragement for you there spinningsheep, hope you had a great time (i love Blackpool) I've got my holiday coming up and need to think about how much i want to take.
  • Primula
    Primula Posts: 953 Forumite
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    As the others said.. don't beat yourself up. You were on holiday and we're all entitled to indulge in things we enjoy, now and again.

On the bright side, could have been worse.

I spent £1500 in one shop, just last month... when I could have used it to pay off the credit cards. Everyone does it. :p

Now I am intrigued, what did you buy?!!
  • Teenie_D
    Teenie_D Posts: 2,270
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Aw don't worry about it you could have spent a lot more!

I done the same thing last month when I was on holiday, we didn't really go anywhere just a couple of days out with our wee one. I was so annoyed when I realised how much we had overspent but then thought well its done now cant do anything about it and we had a really nice time, which is the main thing. Just going to have to tighten our belts this month, it'll be fine (she says lol!)
    "That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure