🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Engagement Rings (merged)

Options

Comments

• NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jeweller is likely to take it off your hands. I think you will get the best deal if you are wanting to purchase something from them and ask them to take the ring in part exchange. That way you get rid of the ring and get something nice instead for hopefully very little money.
  • susi
    susi Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    I bags it for a fiver lol!!!!
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Pawn it, donate the money to a good cause or something for yourself, send him the pawn ticket.
  • Wizwoo
    Wizwoo Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NAR wrote:
    Jeweller is likely to take it off your hands. I think you will get the best deal if you are wanting to purchase something from them and ask them to take the ring in part exchange. That way you get rid of the ring and get something nice instead for hopefully very little money.

OH works in an independent jewellers and he agrees with NAR. He also recommends that if you know where your ex got the ring they are more likely to give you a better deal.

With regards to what you should get it's based on what your ex paid for it - he suggests as a minimum (as long as the ring is as new) the value £4495, less the VAT (apprx £670) and then half it so = £4495 - £670 = £3825 / 2 = £1912.50. Anything over this is a bonus. (This is a guide as to what an indepentant retailer may give you.)

If the £4495 valuation is based on insurance / replacement however the value would be less than that to start with.

Whatever you decide best of luck - and sorry that things didn't turn out the way you hoped. ;)
  • starlorna22
    Options
    I sold my engagament and wedding ring together to a jewellers, the engagement ring cost £800 and the wedding ring about £250

I got £280 for both - but to be honest I was just glad to get rid of them!!

Now I've got a lovely boyfriend and won't be getting married again for a long while (19 when I got married, 23 when I got divorced)!!!!
    Comping Challenge
    Win back your annual internet connection costs
    Goal - £132

Won so far
    Charles Worthington Dream Hair Kit £20
    10 Sets of Football stamps £5
    Ainsley Harriet Cookbook £20
    Months supply of Copella juice £12
    Another Cookbook - Not received it yet, so don't know what it is :confused
  • carebear_4
    Options
    I had to put my thoughts forward on this!

Having got divorced I went to sell engagement ring - valued at £1200 by Independent Jeweller where ex got it from. Surprise, like everything with the relationship it was a con. Ring was practically worthless as poor quality diamond!! No jeweller would buy it so sold on Ebay for £80.

But the feeling when that last bit of a bad marriage is gone is priceless.

I felt if I kept hold of the ring, I was keeping hold of the past.

Now I have a wonderful life with a gorgeous baby boy and would not look over my shoulder for anything. Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes, yet!!

Lucy xx
  • burnoutbabe
    burnoutbabe Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so, if monmeysavers are to get engaged, they should get a ring from the "vintage" collections or ebay then?

Else its like a brand new car, loses 75% of value as soon as its off the forecourt. Can't think i'd be that bothered by having an older ring, if it meant a huge saving in costs.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I sold my 18ct engagement and wedding rings and made enough to pay for the photographs when i married again. Unfortunately these days, no one really wants to buy second hand rings despite jewellers being able to melt the gold down and harvest the stones.
  • dreamalittle
    dreamalittle Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    so, if monmeysavers are to get engaged, they should get a ring from the "vintage" collections or ebay then?

Else its like a brand new car, loses 75% of value as soon as its off the forecourt. Can't think i'd be that bothered by having an older ring, if it meant a huge saving in costs.

Funnily enough, my fiance and I have just done exactly that - we bought my engagement ring from ebay last week! Not terribly romantic perhaps, but the actual proposal was romantic enough for me, and I'd much rather we have more money to spend on more important stuff (saving for a house in the dim and distant future).

We paid £200 for a platinum and diamond ring that apparently cost the seller (or rather the seller's ex!) £1200 a couple of years ago. It's beautiful, fits me exactly, and is just the sort of thing I would have chosen anyway. We maybe took a bit of a risk on being scammed or whatever, but it definitely paid off for us. Now I just have to work out our cover story for when people ask us where we got it... ;)
  • jellycat40
    jellycat40 Posts: 820 Forumite
    Options
    When my oh and I went to get wedding rings made we took all our old gold and a lot of this had been purchased for me by my ex hubby. The veiw we took was that we were making something good out of the garbage that had gone before. I gave my engagement ring to my daughter for her to keep when she is older she can wear it or have it made into something nice.

Whatever you do, make sure it is right for you and that you are happy with the outcome.

Best wishes

Louise
    Nobody is perfect - not even me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business