Need to get my passport Notarised

Hi guys

Filling out a US tax return for my wife and need to get a copy of my passport notarised , rang a local solicitors to get it done and they want £ 60 for it !!!!
Is it just solicitors that can notarise or can other people do it, ie : Policemen, Doctors etc, just want to try to avoid paying the 60 quid, or at least paying that much .



  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'll move your thread over to the 'Travel' board, where it should get more views and responses.

    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL=""][/EMAIL].


    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • lily_the_pink
    lily_the_pink Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My only experience of dealing with a notary in this country is a sworn oath for a friendly society. There was a fixed charge in this case so was not massively expensive (<£20).

    As far as I am aware it has to be a notary(and not all solicitors are notaries- but the solicitor would know) - it isn't equivalent to having the back of your passport signed by a responsible member of society, so you cant use anyone else. You would need to check with the US authorities - you could always email the embassy though not sure if you would get a reply.

    £60 sounds a lot to me though - you might want to check with another solicitor.

    We are quite lucky in this country that we rarely need to get this sort of thing done - latin countries require a notarised copies for a lot more legal/commercial transactions.

    There is a site here that explains what they do and how to find one:
  • monkeyspanner
    monkeyspanner Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    Had to do this recently. Went into a local solicitor without an appointment. Cost me £2 a certified copy. I'd say the solicitor you asked was trying it on.
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    We had to have a PoA notorised for a foreign property purchase a few years ago and it wasn't cheap then, though I can't remember the exact cost. As well as rolling up your trouser leg, turning 3 times and swearing you are who you say you are on the Holly Bible the notary has to send the document to the Foreign Office for them to issue a certificate confirming that the notary is genuine. Don't know if that applies to the US, it certainly does to Spain. The FO cert costs a bit [£15-20?] so if that's included in the £60, it may not be a bad price.

    It's nothing like having docs certified or having your passport countersigned by the local Old Bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards