MSE News: Ryanair hikes baggage fees

edited 7 September 2009 at 1:03PM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
8 replies 1.4K views
Former_MSE_GuyFormer_MSE_Guy Former MSE
1.7K Posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 7 September 2009 at 1:03PM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Ryanair has once again upped its booking fees, this time making it over three times as expensive to check luggage into the hold in some cases.

That huge hike applies to a second price of checked baggage, yet the cost of your first checked item is also rocketing by 50% ..."
Read the full story:
Ryanair hikes baggage fees
OfficialStamp.gif
A discussion on this topic had already started before the news story was published. Thanks to Bob the Saver for the original post.

Replies

• lorweldlorweld Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL]
    :hello:
  • About time too, why do people take the bl**dy kitchen sink anyway?

I agree entirely. Ryanair give you a 10kg allowance in the cabin for free. We find that's plenty for up to 10 days in the summer. It is certainly enough for a long weekend anywhere. However, there will always be these vain women who need 3 changes of frock every day, with shoes to match. Who on earth do they think is looking at them?:rolleyes:

The comments below the Mail article are funny. So Ryanair's business is unsustainable, is it? How many other airlines operate at a profit, I wonder!
  • edited 7 September 2009 at 5:24PM
    sidefxsidefx Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    edited 7 September 2009 at 5:24PM
    I have been travelling with only hand baggage for years. My fear is that everyone will start just taking hand luggage and the overhead lockers won't be big enough to accommodate it all.

They will then start charging for hand baggage due to the loss of revenue from people checking in bags.
  • I agree entirely. Ryanair give you a 10kg allowance in the cabin for free. We find that's plenty for up to 10 days in the summer. It is certainly enough for a long weekend anywhere. However, there will always be these vain women who need 3 changes of frock every day, with shoes to match. Who on earth do they think is looking at them?:rolleyes:

The comments below the Mail article are funny. So Ryanair's business is unsustainable, is it? How many other airlines operate at a profit, I wonder!

The thing that gets me is 3 Bikini's for a weekend ????
  • ruffwoodruffwood Forumite
    96 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    The Independent gave a more considered view of RyanAir today, certainly no claims of Rip off or Scam and noted that last year profit was 3% of turnover hardly ripping us off
  • edited 7 September 2009 at 2:10PM
    PolishBigSpenderPolishBigSpender Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    edited 7 September 2009 at 2:10PM
    The article doesn't mention the fact that the 'second bag charge' includes an extra 15kg of baggage allowance.

In fact, let's do some journalistic research and find out what the true costs of taking two bags weighing 30kg are on Ryanair and Easyjet. We'll assume the new fares for the purpose of this calculation.

Two hold bags weighing 29kg will cost you 103 EUR on Easyjet, flying from Berlin to Milan tomorrow.

Two hold bags weighing 29kg will cost you 100 EUR on Ryanair, flying from Berlin to Milan tomorrow.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • MORPH3USMORPH3US Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    As someone else said above... its only a matter of time until they start charging for hand luggage IMO. Especially with all the publicity from MSE and others with ways to get around paying their stupid charges, they will have to make their money back somehow.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides