Wooden BBQ - Feasible??

2»

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bread ovens centuries ago had elm wood doors, so clearly certain types of wood stand up to heat.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Atelier
    Atelier Posts: 164 Forumite
    It is not a silly as it sounds. I have seen one made for cooking BBQs on yachts. It was basically a wooden box with a steel inner liner.

The trick was to create air spaces between the wooden base and the fire tray. I think this had 1" spacers, steel plate, 1" spacers, fire tray.

HTH

ukjoel wrote: »
    I know it sounds mad but think it may work and wanted to see if anyone had tried similar.

I want to build one of the DIY Brick BBQs but replace the bricks with some wooden sleepers I have sitting about. Sleepers are pressure treated hardwood so no tar or creosote involved.

The bbq tray and grill will be supported on metal rods which will be screwed into the sleepers.

Heat level will be high but dont anticipate too many direct flame on the wood.

Is there any heat/fire proof sealent i could use on the wood??

Any ideas or is this just me being a tad too creative.....

Cheers

J
  • PMSL you should not be aloud anywhere near a fire.
    Is whispering near a fire OK, or do you have to be totally silent?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • ukjoel wrote: »
    I know it sounds mad but think it may work and wanted to see if anyone had tried similar.

I want to build one of the DIY Brick BBQs but replace the bricks with some wooden sleepers I have sitting about. Sleepers are pressure treated hardwood so no tar or creosote involved.

The bbq tray and grill will be supported on metal rods which will be screwed into the sleepers.

Heat level will be high but dont anticipate too many direct flame on the wood.

Is there any heat/fire proof sealent i could use on the wood??

Any ideas or is this just me being a tad too creative.....

Cheers

J

Should be fine as long as you get some good spacing between the metal container for the fire and the wood itself - and as long as the sleepers are not oozing fresh creosote. But keep a bucket of water handy - good practice anyway with a barbeque.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • My metalwork teacher used to weld and cast on a wooden table with a steel cover, I don't recall there being any gaps.

For wood to burn you need to get it hot enough that it decomposes into combustible gasses. My hypothesis is that the steel provides sufficient cooling to prevent that, and even it doesn't then it any gasses that reach a source of ignition are no longer in contact with the rest of the wood and so unable to accelerate the burning process.
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Interesting feedback - feeling more positive now (but will still have a B&Q orange bucket ready in case my optimism goes up in flames.

I was clearing out the shed and found some old steel shelves left over from some dexion style shelving so think they could do the job perfectly.

Will shoot down to B&Q for some coachbolts or timberlocks and a bbq kit and start sketching out a design.

Cheers
  • ADJAFC
    ADJAFC Posts: 20 Forumite
    We've got sleepers in our garden and I tried burning an off cut on our indoor fire and it took a long time to really get going. As long as the flames are not repeatedly in close contact I reckon it's probably worth a go.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure